Florida Heat this Summer, Who's still Fishing?

With the High 90's Actual Temps and the Feels Like in the 100+++ almost Every Day now for a Month, Who's toughing it out and still Fishing?

Any Tips or Tricks to share if you still are?

For me I try to get out as early as Possible and stop when I start not feeling "right". That includes lots of Drinking Water as well.

One of the last trips out I tried to "tough it out" and when it got to the point of Puke-Pass Out-or Go Home,,,,,, I went Home.

2. Member
    night fishing

also, like you I get out there about 30 minutes before sunrise and for the last couple hours of fishing, usually 11a-1p I have one of these on the deck

ryobi.jpg

3. Member
    Went yesterday afternoon on the St. John’s south of Green Cove. Water temps were in the low 90s on the surface. Fishing was tough but we didn’t get skunked…even with a 4 year old on the boat lol. I would try to find deeper water with some current to try out. The night fishing deal is a great idea and works, be careful And bring bug spray. The river will be hard for artificials since the shrimp run is winding up.

good luck
    2016 Z521C Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    Sick as &%$# with BA5 this month, all of it.
    However, normally, I'm done by 9am or so.
    If well inside a shaded area, maybe 10 or so.

5. Banned
    Take a old towel and cut it in half. Before ya put ice in the cooler pour about a gallon of water in it, then add the ice. About 10:00 am you will have a slushy ice bath that you can drench your towels in. Ring towel out over head and place cold wet cloth on head and shoulders. My wife and I did this the other day which worked well. When I got in the truck to load the boat at 3:30, the truck said 109. BUT... We smoked their azz, prob caught 30 plus with 3 or 4 in 5 pnd range. Three different times I had a double on. Wife was like that's the third time you caught two at one time. She even caught a few.

Now.... with that said went back a few days later for a tx and caught one fish. Go figure, oh well. Weather was direct opposite, I kinda of expected it though. Blew 20mph by 9am. When I wacked em with my wife it was hot as fire and not a drop of wind. Like a mirror.
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 07-14-2022 at 05:43 PM.

6. Member
    The heat isn't so bad up here (Gainesville area) as the afternoon storms.

I try to get out at least one day every weekend... but the weather is NOT cooperating.
    2020 G3 1810 Dual Console - Lowrance HDS-7 Live/HDS-12 Live/Active Target - Lowrance Ghost - Yamaha 90 - 8' Power Pole Blades (2) - BoatEFX steps

Florida Carry Region 3 Representative - oh, and KISS rules!

was out last weekend on okeechobee, yesterday 7/15 was fishing inshore in stuart, tomorrow 7/16 going to okeechobee so yeah still fishing.. no night fishing either cant stand it just start early and quit by noon or so

8. Member
    We get to the ramp at 5am. That gives us an hour plus of fishing in the dark. We have caught our best fish during this time. We are loaded up and off the water by 11am.
    Brad Krone

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    Take a old towel and cut it in half. Before ya put ice in the cooler pour about a gallon of water in it, then add the ice. About 10:00 am you will have a slushy ice bath that you can drench your towels in. Ring towel out over head and place cold wet cloth on head and shoulders. My wife and I did this the other day which worked well. When I got in the truck to load the boat at 3:30, the truck said 109. BUT... We smoked their azz, prob caught 30 plus with 3 or 4 in 5 pnd range. Three different times I had a double on. Wife was like that's the third time you caught two at one time. She even caught a few.

Now.... with that said went back a few days later for a tx and caught one fish. Go figure, oh well. Weather was direct opposite, I kinda of expected it though. Blew 20mph by 9am. When I wacked em with my wife it was hot as fire and not a drop of wind. Like a mirror.
    Good Idea. Lots of the Lawn Care Guys do something very similar to that.

10. Member
    Daylight to 11:00. Quality isn’t spectacular but lots of fish normally

On the water before first light, as soon as it is safe to motor out go! Back on the bunks by 10:00 East Central Florida.
    2013 Young GulfShore 20
    2019 Yamaha F 150

12. Member
    Looks like most are back on the Trailer by 10:00 am.

I try to fish at least until 2-3:00 pm. Why? Because my own fishing success tells me that I catch most of my Bigger Bass between the hours of 12:00 NOON and 3:00 pm.

About two weeks ago I caught my new PB Bass right at 9.0 lbs at 1:30 pm. Follwed by a 5 lb 12 oz at 1:45 pm.

In fact if I am only going to fish for 5 hours I'll take 10:00 to 3:00 pm every day of the week.

It's proven to me every year.

Feel like temp was 107 yesterday for our tournament out of Welaka.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

14. Member
    Fishing almost every day. Some mornings, some afternoons. The heat is intense but afternoon thunderstorms cool it off but sometimes put it on the trailer due to lightning. I like summer fishing here on the Big O

15. Member
    As often as possible, I just wrap it up by 11 am. Fishing is normally pretty good for those first few hours

16. Banned
    Daylight to 9 or 10 am. Only live a few miles from the lake and retired, but have been going to the range more often than fishing.

My ice was gone by 11am Sat in our Tourney out of Rodman... was kinda shocked. I had been fishing in the heat but typically was pulling the boat out by 11am or so. Fishing the last few hours with no ice was a bummer. Not sure if just older cooler in my 16 Skeeter or maybe i got some weak ice that wasn't fully frozen (didn't get it at my usual stop) or what, but will have to pay more attention going forward. My backup ice in the RTIC I keep in truck for livewell/weigh in was still good, so leaning toward just an older not very efficient cooler.

Maybe I'll just use the RTIC for ice/drinks on the back deck and convert the "cooler" to the missing center storage compartment I've been complaining about since I bought the Skeeter