Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking of switching to digital trim via NEMA

2016 225 SHO on a Skeeter ZX225 - thinking about switching from analog trim gauge to digital trim view on Lowrance screen via ECU/NEMA interface cable.

Anyone made the change and regretted it? Is it easy to switch back if I decide I don't like it?

Seems straightforward - just connect the two pink wires. Reading still comes from the sender/cam correct, so I would not have to do any calibration or anything? I assume to revert I would just disconnect the connectors and tape them back up with the covers?

Re the existing analog gauge - I've read conflicting posts - one says you don't have to do anything to the existing analog gauge, other say it must be disconnected? If it should be disconnected what is the procedure to do this? Is it just removing a wire/connection, or other work required?

2. Member
    It must be disconnected. Unplug it.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

3. Member
    The sending unit at the motor lacks repeatability and accuracy, so don't expect this to improve.
    I've found the same issue with most hydraulic jack plate sending units also.
    I use these for a general reference, then engage the "seat of the pants" for fine tuning.
    Last edited by PSM207; 07-14-2022 at 08:05 PM.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

4. Member
    Can someone post up where to find the wires that need to be connected? Have my Helix unit displaying everything and was thinking about using it for the trim as well. 2021 225 sho if it matters but I assume wiring on all the V6s motors is the same.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mknj671 View Post
    Can someone post up where to find the wires that need to be connected? Have my Helix unit displaying everything and was thinking about using it for the trim as well. 2021 225 sho if it matters but I assume wiring on all the V6s motors is the same.
    What all are you able to read on your Helix? I have the interface cable hooked into my NMEA network and I'm only able to read engine temp and rpm. Unit is a Helix 12 Gen3.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanks08 View Post
    What all are you able to read on your Helix? I have the interface cable hooked into my NMEA network and I'm only able to read engine temp and rpm. Unit is a Helix 12 Gen3.
    Mine is a GEN4, not home and would need to check all read out options to be positive. I swapped to digital water pressure, have speed/rpm, volts, engine temp, oil pressure and trim but that is not displaying correctly now since I never connected the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by PSM207 View Post
    The sending unit at the motor lacks repeatability and accuracy, so don't expect this to improve.
    I've found the same issue with most hydraulic jack plate sending units also.
    I use these for a general reference, then engage the "seat of the pants" for fine tuning.
    Hmm, that's disappointing to hear...err read. I may still try it, for nothing else than to have it in front of me vs down and away partial under the steering wheel.

I assume disconnecting the single pink wire at the gauge has no effect on the tach (it's a combo gauge, similar to below but white).

8. Member
    interesting question on trim.so much info on my engine page and overlay that numbers can be overwhelming.
    i am old school,basicaly on plane i like to trim jackplate up or down to get maximum speed and ease of steering.
    i dont believe my nema cable is connected for trim,but havent found a need to use it.
    john

9. Member
    Getting back to the thread can someone answer where the two pink wires are located?

10. Member
    Getting back to the thread can someone answer where the two pink wires are located?
    On my HPDI they're on the port side, under all of the other wires coming in from the harness. May be different on a SHO, but should be pretty easy to find. They're the only pink wires in there that aren't connected to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Hmm, that's disappointing to hear...err read. I may still try it, for nothing else than to have it in front of me vs down and away partial under the steering wheel.

I assume disconnecting the single pink wire at the gauge has no effect on the tach (it's a combo gauge, similar to below but white).

So was under the console installing a Ram mount for my phone and took the opportunity to check out the trim wire connection to the tach/gauge - it part of a multi-wire plug/harness, not a single wire/connector. So appears the pink wire will just need to be unscrewed from the post on the back of the tach/gauge combo? No issues with wire not being connected to anything?

On the plus side, if I don't like it, appears easy enough to revert to using analog gauge.

Trying to confirm which wire to disconnect from the gauge? I've read threads that suggest the pink wire, and another thread that says brown/white wire. Can anyone confirm? 2016 SHO 225 ZX225, Faria Tach/Trim combo guage.

13. Member
    If a Yamaha gauge it would be a pink wire. God only knows what color Skeeter uses.

The gauge might have markings on it for ground, power/ignition, light, sender. It would be the sender wire. Of course you can always disconnect all of them.

Stopped by Yamaha shop today, they confirmed it's Pink wire at the gauge as well. Just beat the rain home, if it stops sometime soon that will be my afternoon project :).

Made the switch this morning. The "pink" wire at the gauge actually looked more purplish to me, but it's the only non black/white/brown shade wire on the gauge, so I assume it is the one. Might just be color shift from being 6 years old, or might be my vision (being red/green color vision deficient). Although the pink wire on the motor actually did look pink.

Anyway, so I think it worked. TBH I can't tell for sure, as I need to run the motor I assume to get a reading? But, the digital reading changed from the default "124%" to "0%", so I take that as a good sign.

Edit - helps if you turn the key on :). Seems to be working as it should, percentage is changing as I trim the motor. Full tuck was 6%, so I adjusted the sender to 0 as a starting point. Running range seems to be from 0 to 30%, above that tilt kicks in. As a poster above mentioned, it's the same sender, just a digital representation of the same output - so may not be any more accurate. Will play with some more on the water this weekend.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 08-16-2022 at 02:04 PM.

On the water testing today everything worked great. Will take some getting used to not looking down at the gauge, but I've got Trim value setup on all my screens in big numbers for now, will likely make them smaller/normal once I get used to it being on the screens :).

Haven't decided if I really like the digital display or not, tbh. Before I stated tilt kicks in at 30%, but that number changes, so as someone mentioned before, it doesn't improve accuracy, just how it is shown. I also lost analog RPM as well, so perhaps that wasn't the correct wire after all - not sure. I have RPM on headunits of course.

Anyway, can't make up my mind, but am considering just flipping it back to analog and getting better at trimming by feel/sound as I get more used to the boat.

18. Member
    I’ve read thru this as I was curious how it worked for you. I don’t mind where mine is, I just can’t seem to calibrate it, mine bottoms out at like 2 bars. But I don’t run fast anyhow. I thought if your switch was accurate maybe I’d think about switching, but sounds like maybe not worth it. Not for me at least.

19. Lost in Desert.......Help
    I also use this, been about 15 years. All engine data on graph, here's an early screen shot, trim in upper left.

I use mine most often before a Hole shot, my hole shot is less than impressive trimmed up for running, besides blowing out and confirming my incompetence to anyone within earshot.

Best,

Mike

31820 5668.jpg

Looks nice - nicer than my Lowrance dashboard, which is just nema info from motor, not the more advanced module setup... so some values aren't present.

I've decided to leave it (Digital Trim) as is for now. This week was the perfect opportunity to revert it as I had my dash torn down change out Electronics mounts, but decided to just leave it. I do like having rpm on the screen so I just keep SOG, RPM, and TRIM overlays present which suits me fine. Like you, TRIM overlay there mostly for making sure trim is set for holeshot, and then trimming by sound/feel as I get to scootin' :). I probably should get under there an check though, as I also lost RPM portion of the gauge (Faria combo RPM/TRIM) as the same time when I disconnected the wire for Trim - so must have disconnected the wrong wire :(. But it's low priority as I have it on the Head Unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast