Adding a Reccessed trolling motor tray to AVX189?

Considering buying the AVX189. Is it possible to add a recessed trolling motor tray? Thanks

2. Member
    Im sure it is possible, though I have to say it does baffle me why Vexus has the recessed tray as an option on the lesser model 181, and its an option for the 189C but not have in as an option on the 189. Maybe someone who owns the 189 can tell you what's underneath the area where the tray would go or you could call Vexus and ask them why its not an option for the 189. Im sure all thats under that area is either empty cavity or expansion foam which the expansion foam would just have to be cut out. Foot control trays are plentiful online and fairly easy to install if you are handy with a jigsaw. If you are a cosmetic person maybe contact vexus and see if they will send you a tray that matches your boat, plus the vexus tray will also match the lines of the bow. If you dont care about cosmetics plenty of aftermarket trays online to be head for less than 100 bucks.
    "Im ya huckleberry." Chasin bass and rippin lips is just my game.

3. Member
    The only rod box on the 189 is the center box and the rod tubes extend to the front of the bow. That's why the recessed foot pedal isn't an option on the 189. The 181 and 189c both have port side rod boxes.

4. Member
    Yup as said above. It’s the tubes getting in the way. I remember when I talked with the rep before I bought my 181 that if you give up the top tubes and only store shorter rods on top they could recess mount the pedal at the factory. I remember the conversation. I’m happy with my 181. No regrets. I imagine if I went 189 I would still be just as happy. I just didn’t want a longer boat and a larger engine. Don’t need it. I still was able to add all the toys to my 181 and I’m completely happy. I love my ultrex. My 10 inch helixes are great and I can’t wait to add mega life with the pole next season.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_Reel View Post
    The only rod box on the 189 is the center box and the rod tubes extend to the front of the bow. That's why the recessed foot pedal isn't an option on the 189. The 181 and 189c both have port side rod boxes.
    Learned something new. I didnt notice that subtle difference.
    "Im ya huckleberry." Chasin bass and rippin lips is just my game.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_Reel View Post
    I have a center rod box with rod tubes on my 1880 and it has a recessed foot pedal. The rod tubes are below the recessed tray. Maybe because the 1880 hull has a deeper "V" than the 189?

7. Member
    1880 and 189 are two totally different designs. Even though there is a center rod box in an 1880, there's enough room at the bow to install a recessed TM tray. Same bow design on the 1880 as on the 1980/2080. Not so on a 189.

8. Member
    I have an AVX189, and I had the same question. Yes, the rod tubes are in the way. However, I just installed a Garmin Force trolling motor, and I've noticed it's pedal is slimmer than my Fortrex pedal. I'm lucky enough to have a friend who owns a metal fabrication business. I'm hiring him to build a custom trolling motor tray this fall. I'm hoping I can install a slim tray to recess the pedal at least a few inches, but not interfere with the rod tubes. We'll see how it goes, and I'll post pictures here when we get to it.