Fishing is a Passion

Treasury I Bonds

You can now purchase a treasury I bond up to $10,000 per person at a rate of 9.62%

Hope this helps some folks
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

2. Member
    Thanks.

Additionally, you can buy with a tax refund, if applicable.
    An extra $5,000 via Form 8888. Paper bond issue.
    Once you receive the paper bond, you can convert it.

Current rate is 9.62%, it changes 2X/year with inflation.

You can also do a gift which gets you earning the interest rate on additional money. Would only do the gift thing though with someone you fully trust like a spouse. There’s a post on here about that from earlier this year also.

4. Member
    The question is not what it yields now but what will it be yielding in 2023. If it is still at 9.62% then we are in deep trouble. My wife and I maxed our Bond purchases for 2020 and 2021. Too bad it is only $10,000.00 a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    The question is not what it yields now but what will it be yielding in 2023. If it is still at 9.62% then we are in deep trouble. My wife and I maxed our Bond purchases for 2020 and 2021. Too bad it is only $10,000.00 a piece.
    agree completely. But at least that money put in there will be earning a good yield. I hope nothing more then in 2023 I am cashing them out because the yield are too low.

6. Member
    I'm thinking those bonds will be with Uncle Sugar thru the penalty phase.

7. Member
    I bought my first ever I bond a couple months ago and I believe it will be paying a high rate for the next year. I'm calling an October announcement of 8.5% or more. Supply chains are not recovering. Housing may cool and oil/gas may drop a bit, but it's not offsetting all the other stuff people want, but can't get...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

8. Member
    Got wife an I in during May at the max.

9. Member
    How long until the bond matures?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster96 View Post
    How long until the bond matures?
    Here’s some information regarding I bonds:

Should you buy an ibond?

The 9.62% interest rate certainly looks appealing but there is a little more to ibonds that you should consider before purchasing.

* The rate is for only six months. Granted, inflation will still be high in six months so chances are you'll receive another high interest rate for the following six months.

* The interest rate has two components to it. A variable rate and a fixed rate. The variable rate is linked to inflation and measured by the CPI-U (Consumer Price Index for Urban Consumers) which is why the ibond is paying 9.62%. The fixed rate is determined by the Treasury and it's currently at 0%. So as inflation comes down, so will the variable rate portion of your ibond every six months.

*Liquidity. You can't sell your ibond for the first year. If you sell it in the first five years, you'll lose 3 months of interest.

* This isn't a product that you'd want to put your emergency funds in due to the inability to get to your money within one year. I'd suggest it would fall into your five-year fixed income bucket.

To learn more you can go to Treasury Direct https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv...terms.htm#infl
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator 2013 Yamaha 150hp HPDI Vmax

following
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin273Stratos View Post
    Here’s some information regarding I bonds:

Should you buy an ibond?

The 9.62% interest rate certainly looks appealing but there is a little more to ibonds that you should consider before purchasing.

* The rate is for only six months. Granted, inflation will still be high in six months so chances are you'll receive another high interest rate for the following six months.

* The interest rate has two components to it. A variable rate and a fixed rate. The variable rate is linked to inflation and measured by the CPI-U (Consumer Price Index for Urban Consumers) which is why the ibond is paying 9.62%. The fixed rate is determined by the Treasury and it's currently at 0%. So as inflation comes down, so will the variable rate portion of your ibond every six months.

*Liquidity. You can't sell your ibond for the first year. If you sell it in the first five years, you'll lose 3 months of interest.

* This isn't a product that you'd want to put your emergency funds in due to the inability to get to your money within one year. I'd suggest it would fall into your five-year fixed income bucket.

To learn more you can go to Treasury Direct https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv...terms.htm#infl
    Good info there thanks

13. Fishing is a Passion
    I agree. You might not want to use the emergency fund to purchase the bond. My wife and I are retired and have a slush fund. I am guessing the return for the first year will not be matched with other options.

How does one go about buying I Bonds? Just buy through your regular broker or some other way?
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

15. Fishing is a Passion
    You have to go through the US treasury

Link please

17. Member
    Hey Nitro,
    I believe that when we had this conversation back in March, you also pointed out that you can buy a 10K I Series as a 'gift' and just leave it in your account till you give it to the person at a later date when you may not be buying a bond for that yr. Please correct me if I am wrong since I do not wish to pass on bad intel.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Hey Nitro,
    I believe that when we had this conversation back in March, you also pointed out that you can buy a 10K I Series as a 'gift' and just leave it in your account till you give it to the person at a later date when you may not be buying a bond for that yr. Please correct me if I am wrong since I do not wish to pass on bad intel.
    I didn't do it as a gift I just bought one for me and bought one for my wife in December and then we each bought another one in January. It was coming out of a joint account so it really wasn't a gift. I just did the buying for both of us with our money.

19. Member
    I didn't do it as a gift I just bought one for me and bought one for my wife in December and then we each bought another one in January. It was coming out of a joint account so it really wasn't a gift. I just did the buying for both of us with our money.
    Got it. I bought one 10K for me and one 10K as a gift, and did the same for my wife's account, so we have 40k earning nearly 10%. Plan on holding for 15 months before cash in getting 12 months of interest, unless I don't need cause equities are still bouncing around.