115 Pro XS or 150 Pro XS

Help me decide here.

Looking to replace my failing 115 opti. 18 foot Crestline Superhawk.

I was never totally thrilled with the top end on my current 115, and it could have raised the bow a bit more.

That being said, cost difference between the 2 Pro XS is 5200, fairly significant.

This 115 Pro XS actaully outputs 126hp, and if I throw a SS prop on it perhaps I get better performance?

I'm pretty torn here.
    Last edited by Lunger50; 07-12-2022 at 10:27 PM.

2. Member
    Get the 150 pro XS.

3. Member
    ^^^^+1^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    ^^^^^^^+2^^^^^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +3... That 35hp "itch" is way less expensive to scratch when BUYING the motor (compared to taking a hit on a nearly-new motor you aren't pleased with).

If the boat is rated for up to 150hp, use the 150hp.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Done. Went with the 150. They sure aren't giving them away.

Only catch was this was a long shaft and I need an XL, so waiting on the extension kit which should have been here today. This was quite possibly the only 150 in stock in the entire province. Miraculously at a dealer 15 min from my house.

Anything in particular I should know about this engine?

7. Member
    Completely different engine than your Optimax, plenty of good info in the 4-stroke forum.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely very good engines. Should provide you with many years of service.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    What a mess this quickly become.

This motor was a long shaft, I need an XL, they spoke to Mercury Canada and ordered a conversion kit.

Removed old motor, mounted new one, ........and the kit doesn't fit. Lovely.

Just got off the phone with Mercury USA, apparently they don't make a kit for the Pro XS.

What in the $&#@ to do now.

I found an XL at a different dealer well outside the distance I would want to travel. At this point I feel like I should pay the original place, they can purchase the motor from the other dealer, I'll drive and pick it up, bring it back, and they can install it.

What a freaking gong show.

10. Member
    Anyone know the rough price difference between the l and the xl?

Found an XL, but they are asking 1k (cad) more for it,

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would be a question that a Canadian dealer would need to answer, as US pricing is different.

12. Member
    Put the 150 on, my heavens thats some power.

What a major improvement over the 115 opti I had on there. And I cant believe how quiet this thing is.
    Last edited by Lunger50; 07-20-2022 at 08:33 AM.

13. Member
    smart man indeed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................