Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

21SDC Set ups / Speeds??

As I mentioned in an earlier post back in March. I ordered a new 21SDC. Getting closer (hoping another month or two). Just curious what kind of speed is realistic with a 300R on a 21SDC?? I have a 14" Bobs hydraulic jack plate that I plan to use (unless you all tell me different).

And some prop ideas??

I currently have a 2003 20xdc with a flashed 250R, running a 32p Max5. When I first put the 250R on the 20'er it was a huge challenge to get it to run. Hydraulic jack plate became a must to get the engine low enough for a good hole shot then needed it to get the extreme engine height thats required to get it to run on top. Never could find that sweet spot like in the ol days without the hydraulic jack plate. It was one or the other, but never ok on both ends at the same time.

Hearing more and more folks getting the 21'ers and 300R's, so hoping someone has it half way figured out, at least a good starting point. When I did my 250R a couple years ago on the 20'er, there was just no info out there at that time.

Any input / advice is very appreciated!

2. Member
    I think we have talked in the past. I have the same setback and jack plate that you are getting. Love it! I run a 30 Bravo for heavy tournament load. With wells full, full fuel with saddle tank also, 300 pound fishing partner (super heavy boat) I get decent hole shot and run 83-84. Same prop solo with both fuel tanks full GREAT hole shot and 87-88 in the limiter. Also have a 32 Bravo for running non tournament days. Full fuel both tanks, GREAT hole shot, solo 92.5 in the limiter. Steve Bishop was driving my boat when it hit 92.5, my personal best is 92.1. I think I could get a little more with a 31 max5 but man they are expensive! Couple of guys around here (Jacksonville/Palatka, FL) are running mid 90’s with XRSs and 31 max5’s. Only problem is at the start of the tournament I see their partner sitting on the deck of the boat to get out of the hole so hole shot must not be to great with heavy load. I am just speculating as I have never tried one. Good luck, reach out to me if you have any other questions about the SDC as I know it is a little slower and more finicky than your old boat (xdc). Just FYI, I moved all of my soft plastics and weights, etc to the back compartment, all light crank baits/etc up front. Weight in the rear is key with SDC/XRS as seats are more forward than in your XDC.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

3. Member
    I have the XRS with 300R with 1.75 and I had ordered my boat with the 31 Max 5 prop and it did not come out of the hole with the amount of weight I have in my boat (guessing 150 lbs of tackle/rods) when the water started getting above mid 60's with empty live wells. Add in the 40 gallons of water and it would not plane off without someone on the front deck no matter how low I went on the jack plate. I did eventually figure out to raise my jack plate and then start running it down as the boat started breaking over but you have to be on your game or it would blow out, the Max 5 is very violent also when it blows out it will shake the whole boat. Running the Max 5 I had to put the power steering pump on the boat due to the excessive torque from it. Changed to 29 Bravo for summer and 30 Bravo for winter time prop and both have great hole shots, I find that can run the guys down in front of me quicker by having the better hole shot instead of the slower out of the hole. Running Max 5 prop running light boat would hit 98, I sold the prop to another Bullet XRS owner and he has clocked 98. With my fishing load I will run 86 - 88 depending size of partner

4. Member
    Thank you guy for the input!! Very big help!! I'm going to look at the 29 and 30 Bravo's. Are you all running lab finished Bravo's?? My goal was mid 80's loaded and tick 90ish light, so it sounds like I have reasonable expectations. Thanks again!

5. Member
    I am in the same boat, so to speak, my new XRS will be here in a couple months as well. It will have the 300R/1:75, 14" Bob's and the 31 Bravo... I will be reaching out for tips/tricks as well.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sowenssw View Post
    Thank you guy for the input!! Very big help!! I'm going to look at the 29 and 30 Bravo's. Are you all running lab finished Bravo's?? My goal was mid 80's loaded and tick 90ish light, so it sounds like I have reasonable expectations. Thanks again!
    Mine is the Pro finish. Bravo props tend to throw a blade from time to time so I didn’t want to thin it out with the Lab finish. Just from my experience (others may be different) I think you will be in the limiter before you hit 90mph with a Bravo prop less than 31/32 pitch. I hit the limiter in mine right around 87ish with my 30 pitch and with a tournament load I do not hit the limiter at all. With the 32 I hit limiter at 92. My boat is perfect to run every day with the 30, if I had to get just one prop it would be the 30 pitch….But that 32 sure is fun when lives wells are not full.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davisx View Post
    I am in the same boat, so to speak, my new XRS will be here in a couple months as well. It will have the 300R/1:75, 14" Bob's and the 31 Bravo... I will be reaching out for tips/tricks as well.
    awesome, congrats on the boat order. Both you guys need to post some pics when you get them!
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

8. Member
    So far for me its a 30 Performer BC 4 on my 300R/SDC. It does everything better then a bravo. I tried a 30-32-33 bravo, now i'm sending the 30 bravo back and forth to my prop guy to try and get the bravo to work better. Even worked the Performer is still better so far. The performer seems to just lift the hole boat out of the water, makes it feel more like what my 20XD did.

On another note, i was playing with my batteries yesterday and forgot to hook up my SeaStar power steering. OMG is the steering heavy without it. TOTTALY worth the money on this motor/boat. With the power steering i can drive the boat with 2 fingers.

I don't have a max 5 yet, I have a 30P coming

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperflow View Post
    So far for me its a 30 Performer BC 4 on my 300R/SDC. It does everything better then a bravo. I tried a 30-32-33 bravo, now i'm sending the 30 bravo back and forth to my prop guy to try and get the bravo to work better. Even worked the Performer is still better so far. The performer seems to just lift the hole boat out of the water, makes it feel more like what my 20XD did.

On another note, i was playing with my batteries yesterday and forgot to hook up my SeaStar power steering. OMG is the steering heavy without it. TOTTALY worth the money on this motor/boat. With the power steering i can drive the boat with 2 fingers.

I don't have a max 5 yet, I have a 30P coming
    I will for sure try a performer. My goal is to have a decent hole shot (decent to me is partner doesnt have to sit on front deck to get to plane), and run mid 80's loaded and tick 90, maybe break 90 when conditions and load are perfect. My 20'er with the flashed 250R runs upper 90's, but most of the time mid-high 80's is all tournament conditions will allow, so if the 21'er can do that, thats the best of both worlds, much better ride and still a strong running boat.

10. Member
    As props go... anyone like/use Hydromotive Quad IV OT?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davisx View Post
    As props go... anyone like/use Hydromotive Quad IV OT?
    I called todd to buy a QIV X OB, But he did not have anything in the pitch i needed. It's my on my list of props to try.

I tried the OT on my 20XD/300XS, it ran brutal. It did nothing what so ever good.
    Last edited by hyperflow; 07-16-2022 at 07:33 PM.

12. Member
    I will for sure try a performer. My goal is to have a decent hole shot (decent to me is partner doesnt have to sit on front deck to get to plane), and run mid 80's loaded and tick 90, maybe break 90 when conditions and load are perfect. My 20'er with the flashed 250R runs upper 90's, but most of the time mid-high 80's is all tournament conditions will allow, so if the 21'er can do that, thats the best of both worlds, much better ride and still a strong running boat.
    Last tournament i ran 87.2 with the performer into a pretty heavy face wind. Thats full tank of gas, 2 guys, heavy load. The nose of my boat is heavy, I got a boat lodgix mount, HDS 16, garmin 12, lowrance ghost.

I think a 31 would work a bit better on top. I could of lifted the motor higher but when i looked i was running 6380rpm so i didn't try to get any faster.

13. Member
    How was your hole shot with that load? Was that with live wells filled? Thx.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

14. Member
    Last tournament i ran 87.2 with the performer into a pretty heavy face wind. Thats full tank of gas, 2 guys, heavy load. The nose of my boat is heavy, I got a boat lodgix mount, HDS 16, garmin 12, lowrance ghost.

I think a 31 would work a bit better on top. I could of lifted the motor higher but when i looked i was running 6380rpm so i didn't try to get any faster.
    If I can run 87 with two guys loaded I will be very happy. Does it drop off a lot with the the same load and live well full?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxbass View Post
    How was your hole shot with that load? Was that with live wells filled? Thx.
    It jumps out of the hole, Livewel full does not seem to affect the holeshot. Maybe slightly? but not much.

16. Member
    If I can run 87 with two guys loaded I will be very happy. Does it drop off a lot with the the same load and live well full?
    I never tried it WOT with the livewell full, We just coast at 60-70mph from spot to spot. I know it did drop in speed with more weight, i had tried it with no GPS units on the bow and less then a 1/4 tank, plus i was alone in the boat . I had ran 92.X in a super short distance with a CRAZY holeshot.

We had one tournament where we pike fished so the load is less heavy (more jerk baits less rubber) and i had ran 89.4, 2 guys, 3/4 tank of gas.

Hopefully that gives you a idea of load vs speed.

17. Member
    I never tried it WOT with the livewell full, We just coast at 60-70mph from spot to spot. I know it did drop in speed with more weight, i had tried it with no GPS units on the bow and less then a 1/4 tank, plus i was alone in the boat . I had ran 92.X in a super short distance with a CRAZY holeshot.

We had one tournament where we pike fished so the load is less heavy (more jerk baits less rubber) and i had ran 89.4, 2 guys, 3/4 tank of gas.

thank is impressive with that load. I am looking for performer now!
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

18. Member

Absolutely great information, really appreciate it!! I for sure will be trying a performer.

19. Member
    It the Performer made by Signature??

20. Member
    It the Performer made by Signature??
    Sowenssw - Hyperflow told me that Ron Hill bought Performer Props and now has the mold and rights. I looked him up and it appears that he has the performer BC in stock. Think I am going to get one too!
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast