Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mike petro View Post
    Poles this yr were 3650 to my door with all the extras
    livescope new lvs 32 was 1300
    ghost was 2850 to my door

you guys pay way too much for add ons.
    Pretty sure he was just stating the fact guys dont seem to take into account all the add ons with boats.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

2. Member
    Did y'all see the inflation print this morning?

Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    Two poles $7000
    TM $4000
    Livescope $3000
    360 $3000
    12" GPS $3000

Only 20K so far......wait I still need a boat, motor and trailer!
    What kind of poles and trolling motor are you buying?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
    No bass boat is worth 80,000 dollars. I don’t care what they have on them.
    I agree with that ^^^.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    What kind of poles and trolling motor are you buying?
    Force $3,599.49 before tax
    10 to 15 ft anchors $2000.00 to $2400.00 poles only no taxes or mounting hardware. so maybe a little high - just making a point you can spend a lot of money and not even have a boat, motor or trailer, I didn't even add another thousand for batteries.

6. Member
    Let's look at an average 40 year working man that can't pay cash for that $100,000 boat. He's got the itch for a new boat and he's got $20,000 down from the sale of his present boat. He probably owes on that boat, for this analogy it's paid for. Credit union will loan him the $80K @ 6% for 20 years. His payment will be $573.14 a month with total payments equaling $137,554.16. He paid $57.554.76 in interest. At 10 years he's going to owe $50,000 on a boat worth $20K-$30K. He's upside down on a 10 year old boat. At first he had great enjoyment at the ramp from all the onlookers and their "Man, That's a sharp boat". But hey we're 10 years later at the ramp, the comments are fewer as the onlookers are looking at the guy with the new boat. At 10 years he now wants to upgrade trolling motor and electronics. Inflation has run that cost up to $20K.

It is now winter and the boat shed has 6" of snow on the roof and it's 20 degrees outside. He looks at his 10 year old boat just sitting in the garage waiting on spring as he writes that $573.14 check.

He is 5 years into bat ownership and the motor warranty has expired. Where is he going to get say $5,000 for an engine repair, $10,000 for a new power head, $30,000 for a new engine (inflation)?

Remember he is a working man. He is fishing 25 tournaments a year and 10 more fun days. Those 35 fishing days a year cost him $6,877.44. Some where along those 20 years he may get laid off, possible long term illness or a disabling injury and can't make his monthly boat payment and possibly physically unable to use it.

While this is hypothetical, the scenario is based in reality. For the guy that has to borrow that $80K for 20 years, it takes a lot to scratch that itch.

Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Let's look at an average 40 year working man that can't pay cash for that $100,000 boat. He's got the itch for a new boat and he's got $20,000 down from the sale of his present boat. He probably owes on that boat, for this analogy it's paid for. Credit union will loan him the $80K @ 6% for 20 years. His payment will be $573.14 a month with total payments equaling $137,554.16. He paid $57.554.76 in interest. At 10 years he's going to owe $50,000 on a boat worth $20K-$30K. He's upside down on a 10 year old boat. At first he had great enjoyment at the ramp from all the onlookers and their "Man, That's a sharp boat". But hey we're 10 years later at the ramp, the comments are fewer as the onlookers are looking at the guy with the new boat. At 10 years he now wants to upgrade trolling motor and electronics. Inflation has run that cost up to $20K.

It is now winter and the boat shed has 6" of snow on the roof and it's 20 degrees outside. He looks at his 10 year old boat just sitting in the garage waiting on spring as he writes that $573.14 check.

He is 5 years into bat ownership and the motor warranty has expired. Where is he going to get say $5,000 for an engine repair, $10,000 for a new power head, $30,000 for a new engine (inflation)?

Remember he is a working man. He is fishing 25 tournaments a year and 10 more fun days. Those 35 fishing days a year cost him $6,877.44. Some where along those 20 years he may get laid off, possible long term illness or a disabling injury and can't make his monthly boat payment and possibly physically unable to use it.

While this is hypothetical, the scenario is based in reality. For the guy that has to borrow that $80K for 20 years, it takes a lot to scratch that itch.
    Very good analysis!
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    Like I said… banks stop treating boats like homes…they’ll stop selling for 100k

9. Member
    RFSims told the truth! That is why my paid for 2000 TR21 that I gave a face lift and had the Yamaha 225 rebuilt in 2017 looks better to me everyday. I just retired this past October and now enjoy fishing 2 - 3 days a week.

Two years ago I had a couple of employees that got the bass tournament fever, bought new boats, very high (in my opinion payments) for multiples of years. They thought they were going to win enough money to make the boat payments. Dreams, not reality. Are they having fun? I am sure they are. But so am I! Are they in debt...yes! I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Let's look at an average 40 year working man that can't pay cash for that $100,000 boat...
    While that's a good analysis, there's also a ton of variables that may or may not factor in. House, cars/trucks, salary after taxes, etc. With the exception of the terms of the loan (length) it's a good representation of where I was in 2006 (boat payment for the new one was about $525)...and again in 2016, payment is under $500....but I've been paying $600 a month since that's what I was used to paying. While the payment may seem excessive to some, it's well within my budget. All that being said though...this is probably my last "new" 21' boat.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    They'll come down hard. Just wait. It's already happening in S Florida
    Nope not happening. Prices will continue to increase. Manufacturers or Dealers lower prices they will go out of business. Used may drop but new will not.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkDriver View Post
    Like I said… banks stop treating boats like homes…they’ll stop selling for 100k
    Then your favorite manufacturer will go out of business.

100k bass boat?…100k wedding?…I’m paying interest on the boat.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texoma View Post
    Someone will meet the market demands. Existing manufacturers are doing just that. Note how many in this discussion are talking 20 and 21 footers. It seems like a 17 or 18 footer which used to be the standard are now second class. Eventually the pendulum will swing to meet the demand.

I will say I just looked at what my 2017 boat runs new. The base price is now more than I paid for my loaded (it was the show boat for the dealer meeting and used in the 2017 cover shoot so it was loaded up pretty good) rig including taxes and the longest platinum warranty Mercury offered. I have owned it for five years and it has just over 100 hours on the big motor. There is no way I can financially justify owning a bass boat much less a big ole nice sparkle sled. To each their own.

At 100K I'll buy a salt water rig, but those boats make bass boats look down right cheap.
    Last edited by n2ratfishin; 07-13-2022 at 12:52 PM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texoma View Post
    Sure, sounds good

16. Member
    Last boat ... Ranger RT178, Yamaha F60, Fortrex 24V. Wrote a check.
    Current boat ... dependent on the charter captain hired for the day.
    At this point, there's ZERO desire to divest, charters work very well.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by krw View Post
    IMO, lots of people bought boats that can’t afford them. Here’s where the 15-20yr payment plans come in. Now try to unload that boat and you are so far upside down you can’t break even. I live by a lake and I see lots of high dollar boats. Everybody can’t afford them
    alot more people then you think can lol. i know several people in their mid 20's that make well over 250k a year in my town alone and all have these boats and such. there is money to be made and the job market is still on fire and wage increases are still the norm. i have had the raises this year and im in the same position.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Last boat ... Ranger RT178, Yamaha F60, Fortrex 24V. Wrote a check.
    Current boat ... dependent on the charter captain hired for the day.
    At this point, there's ZERO desire to divest, charters work very well.
    Wondered if you owned a bass boat and actually fished. Now I know.
    2014 920/SHO

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    While that's a good analysis, there's also a ton of variables that may or may not factor in. House, cars/trucks, salary after taxes, etc. With the exception of the terms of the loan (length) it's a good representation of where I was in 2006 (boat payment for the new one was about $525)...and again in 2016, payment is under $500....but I've been paying $600 a month since that's what I was used to paying. While the payment may seem excessive to some, it's well within my budget. All that being said though...this is probably my last "new" 21' boat.

I don’t think the amount of the payment was the point of his very accurate post.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post
    Wondered if you owned a bass boat and actually fished. Now I know.
    Owned more than one, probably a dozen, including inshore and bay.
    And a lakefront home, on the Kissimmee Chain, lakefront in N Florida.
    Coastal in Panama, but that's not the same & doesn't count for sure.

I'll fish for minnows in a mud puddle. Been doing it since Age Two, love it.
    We travel for charter, including freshwater trout, probably my favorite.
    I've attended/worked, at iCast, more than remembered, rather be outside.

Although no longer due to vision and shaking hands, an skilled rod builder.
    I miss it, but it's not easy without dexterity and it's frustrating not to see.
    Let me know if you have any other questions OR want to take me fishing.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast