Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hole shot question

Boat is a 2006 XB21 2+2 with a 2006 225 sport xs, Sportmaster case, 1.62 gears, 8.5 setback with a Bob's hydraulic plate, wedges, and a 26 Bravo with (4) 1" holes and (2) 7/8" holes. I'm over reving causing extreme bow lift, even with minimal gas and empty livewell. My ptp is even, but can easily be changed. Currently the holes are all unplugged. Oh, the prop has been tweaked by Robbie Patterson, so it is not an issue. Motor has been checked out recently as well. I'm thinking too much prop ventilation, so it is time to start by plugging some holes. Suggestions on whick holes to plug please. Thanks.
    Last edited by motobuffy; 07-12-2022 at 06:53 PM.

That’s exactly where I’d start as well.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

3. Member
    Plug the 7/8' holes, drop the JP and trim all the way down. When she breaks over, start trimming up then raise JP.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

4. Member
    What do you need the wedges for?

wedges can help with hole shot.

What are your rpms on break over? You want them just over 4000 rpm. Does your Bravo have a full-length barrel with the flare or has it been cut down? Full length skid planer or has that been cut down? Do you have power poles or trolling motor batteries in the far back of the port rear compartment? Have you tried a different prop? Something doesn’t sound right to me, thus all the questions.
    Brad Luchsinger

2003 Allison XB-21 BasSport 2+2
    2004 Mercury Racing 250XS

1998 Xpress X70
    1998 Yamaha Vmax 150 TRP

2002 Triton 200XP

7. Member
    RPMs in the suggested range, possibly a little higher than 4000. I need to verify. Bravo 1 still has a slight flair. Skid planer believed to be full length. No poles. No foil. No lower jackplate cover. 3 lead acid batteries (27s) in the stock positions plus a 4th {lithium} in the center back compartment. Most tackle stored in the center front compartment. rear side compartments basically empty except for noco charger, net, and jackets. Ghost and 2 12'' head units on bow. livewell empty. Also have a 27 Hydromotive, which is worse than the bravo. Being a 2+2, this is basically a weight forward Allison, yet the hole shot has me looking at the sky before finally breaking over.
    Last edited by motobuffy; 07-20-2022 at 04:55 AM.

8. Member
    Where specifically are the three lead acid batteries located?
    IMO, that's a lot of weight in the back, especially if it's behind the end of the pad.
    Last edited by PSM207; 07-17-2022 at 09:12 AM.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    wedges can help with hole shot.
    I know, but why does an Allison boat need wedges to plane off? I know that a lot of the xb 21 models need the holeshot plate but I didn't think any of them would need wedges.

I had one of the first ProSports with the 3.2 ltr Stroker that due to my tournament load and elevation it wouldn't come out of the hole for chit.
    After several conversations with Darris and trying different things he sent me some wedges.
    My first 3.2 had the 1.160 gears my second one I went the 170 gears --- no more hole shot issues.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM207 View Post
    Where specifically are the three lead acid batteries located?
    IMO, that's a lot of weight in the back, especially if it's behind the end of the pad.
    Lead acids are 27 series, located in factory locations as stated, center rear compartment and back of port rear compartment. I believe if this was the issue, Allison would not have placed them in those locations. Feel free to disagree. One other bit of info; both me and my buddy are around 180lbs each

12. Member
    Moto - Did you get my private message that I sent the other day?
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

13. Member
    Haven't seen one.

14. Member
    forgot to hit send
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

The XB still has a very similar running length like the 03 hull versions of 19 ft. The end of that pad is a good ways north of the back of the boat. Even though a 21' hull version has been changed, its actually more similar to the old school hull than different to it. Add all that extended rear deck area of the 21' with a transom offset more to the rear and THEN hang a heavy bass motor on it, and its where you're at. You might try a Trophy or another thru hub that has more rake and cup. However, I have a 28p Bravo and its got a great holeshot, even with 1.62 gears whether Im below the pad or 2" above, with a partner and a full well.

I might add, your photo looks like you have a good bit of height with the motor. Get the last 18 inches of the pad level, then level your prop shaft. Adjust the height even or a bit below the pad and start there.
    Last edited by Hammmerhead; 07-18-2022 at 03:28 PM.

I moved my trolling motor batteries from the rear of the port compartment up to the front of that compartment. Try just taking your trolling motor batteries out and see if it makes much of a difference. If it does, then relocate them. The Bravo should give you a good holeshot IF it has the full length barrel. The Hydromotive should also be good IF it is an XOB and has the welded flare ring. I have the Allison foil that mounts to the cav plate. Most of the time I don’t even have it on the boat, but it does make a noticeable difference so you might want to try adding one. Something still sounds amiss though.
    Brad Luchsinger

2003 Allison XB-21 BasSport 2+2
    2004 Mercury Racing 250XS

1998 Xpress X70
    1998 Yamaha Vmax 150 TRP

2002 Triton 200XP

17. Member
    I too recommend moving the TM batteries and test the holehshot.

I'm running 3 group 29 batteries, one centered in fuel compartment, one in front of port compartment and one centered ahead of cockpit. Mine is a Prosport with a 250 SHO. I had minor holeshot issues with batteries in the back of the rear compartment. My current setup will plane in less than 3 seconds.
    Last edited by PSM207; 07-18-2022 at 06:30 PM.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammmerhead View Post
    The XB still has a very similar running length like the 03 hull versions of 19 ft. The end of that pad is a good ways north of the back of the boat. Even though a 21' hull version has been changed, its actually more similar to the old school hull than different to it. Add all that extended rear deck area of the 21' with a transom offset more to the rear and THEN hang a heavy bass motor on it, and its where you're at. You might try a Trophy or another thru hub that has more rake and cup. However, I have a 28p Bravo and its got a great holeshot, even with 1.62 gears whether Im below the pad or 2" above, with a partner and a full well.

I might add, your photo looks like you have a good bit of height with the motor. Get the last 18 inches of the pad level, then level your prop shaft. Adjust the height even or a bit below the pad and start there.
    I'm guess it won't cost me anything to take out the batteries and try. I also have a 26 trophy I can try for free as well. I haven't posted any photos of my boat, so L don't know where you are getting the motor height info. I have done the proper ptp measurements.

Have you tried plugging any holes yet.

Quote Originally Posted by motobuffy View Post
    I'm guess it won't cost me anything to take out the batteries and try. I also have a 26 trophy I can try for free as well. I haven't posted any photos of my boat, so L don't know where you are getting the motor height info. I have done the proper ptp measurements.
    Yes, some additional weight on the front will help with the break over, but too much and it will scrub a little speed. You never know, the Trophy may make a good difference. I have had great result running Trophys and carrying big loads in the past. Sorry, I thought you were another guy that posted on another site with this 2+2 rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast