Nitro Z7 slips while on pad

Posting for a friend.
    I thought I would post on the Nitro forum to see if anyone has had this happen and what the fix might be. Most of his boats have been Skeeter or Champion so this has us both confused.
    My buddy has a 2010 Nitro Z7 with a 200HP Mercury, he is running a 23 Tempest prop. Not sure of the height of the motor but he did adjust it a little lower to see if it would help it did not. We even tried a 23 Tempest prop I had Mark do some work on it just made it worse last weekend at Lake Powell.
    Here is the problem.
    Everything is good hole shot and power and speed. When we get close to 58 the boat slips sideways while on pad, it is not a chine it feels like the boat is going to slip sideways and spin us around unless we slow down. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    James

2. Member
    Following as my buddies 929 does the same thing if we go over 65

engine height maybe?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    We tried adjusting the motor up and down still slips. He is wondering if a 4 blade prop might be the fix.

My motor over time had a left to right wiggle develop, after a while I felt a slip to the side, I could the loose engine part and tightened it up. All good now. If you can wiggle it more than an 1.5" I'd look for loose parts
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Member
    My motor over time had a left to right wiggle develop, after a while I felt a slip to the side, I could the loose engine part and tightened it up. All good now. If you can wiggle it more than an 1.5" I'd look for loose parts

I will have him check.

7. Member
    I’ve got the same boat and I’ve ran a 25 trophy and a 25 fury but have never had a slip. The original owner ran a 27 fury but never had anything in the boat but a couple of boxes and rides and I tried that prop at first and it never felt like it was slipping either. I’d definitely check for loose parts because when you finally get it opened up you want it to be stable. I will say it’ll get a little squirrelly once you get over 65 but after a few trips it’ll be easier to handle.

8. Member
    It's called crabbing, it's caused when your prop momentarily looses bite and then instantly regains it. Happens in a split second and usually caused by running too high on the JP or even the prop itself. In simpler terms it's getting a quick gulp of surface air, too much air and the prop looses its grip which is instantly felt by the driver. Tap your JP down or maybe try a different prop. Also next time it does it ask your passenger if he felt it, guaranteed he never does.

9. Member
    Thanks guys, do you think a 4 blade prop might help?

never heard it called crabbing, prop walk maybe. adding cup might help the situation, try a known good prop on the boat, see if the same issue exists.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Member
    Check both the upper and lower engine mounts as the rubber can deteriorate. The uppers require powerhead removal in order to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAND View Post
    Thanks guys, do you think a 4 blade prop might help?
    If this issue is happening at mid 50's then no a prop won't help unless the current prop is the problem
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089