Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Puma STS with merc 300

There probably isn’t many out there but what prop pitch is working the best for a puma STS with Mercury 300

Don't own one but...I would think a 26 or 27 Bravo would great
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

3. Member
    Boating mag has a test out there. They posted:

• Engine: Mercury 300 Pro XS FourStroke 300 hp
    • Drive/Prop: Outboard/Mercury Fury 14″ x 24″ 3-blade stainless steel
    • Gear Ratio: 1.75:1 Fuel Load: 25 gal. Crew Weight: 450 lb.

Looks pretty optimal:

2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

4. Member
    For me it’s a Fury 23. The 24 got squirrelly at 65 mph. I hit 72 with the 23 before she started walking

5. Member
    24 Furry so far has been my best option. At 77 you can drive it one hand on the wheel. After that it walks on my pretty bad.

6. Member
    I came out of a Ranger so I’m having to relearn everything about driving. Tell me this where is your plate and your trim set? I am probably over trimming.

7. Member
    My boat likes it around 4 on the jack plate gauge on the dash which is like 2 and half on the actual jack plate. On the trim it seems to not walk on me until around 7 to 8. but everyones different. I have lithiums in mine which if I had it to do over I would not get them. Really need the weight back there.

8. Member
    Check out Ken Smith's latest video series on YouTube.
    Puma STS with 300 (non racing)

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    I watched all his videos on the STS. Waiting for his grading video on the STS. Here is a question I have. During Ken’s test drive I think they hit 78-79 and I thought I saw the diver take his hand off the wheel. There was no walking with this set up, and it is a 300 he is running. I want to contact Ken find out the details if that boats set up.

10. Member
    If you got a sts without power poles and added them later would you need to change props?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Ken’s grading video just came out. He makes the STS the best boat out of all the ones he graded and it’s a bunch. Says he is ordering one.

12. Member
    Gentlemen I am going to have to say that there are no bass boats that will not walk at 76 plus. If it looks easy on video then he is very experienced and just makes it look that way I can take my Eyra with no hands to 74-75 but after that it is driver lol input and experience that you will never know that I am driving the boat. Above 85 and you will notice what I am doing I am not being a rear end but learn your boat and you will not only enjoy it but be much more relaxed driving it. IMHO there is no magic boat out there that does not chine walk if you just point it and go. Cheers
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    Gentlemen I am going to have to say that there are no bass boats that will not walk at 76 plus. If it looks easy on video then he is very experienced and just makes it look that way I can take my Eyra with no hands to 74-75 but after that it is driver lol input and experience that you will never know that I am driving the boat. Above 85 and you will notice what I am doing I am not being a rear end but learn your boat and you will not only enjoy it but be much more relaxed driving it. IMHO there is no magic boat out there that does not chine walk if you just point it and go. Cheers

Yep. If it ain’t trying to walk, you’re not up on pad.

14. Member
    That's what I tell all my Skeeter friends when they say their boats won't chine walk, I say cuz they won't go fast enough.

15. Member
    I used to run an Eyra with a 250 SHO. It was pretty easy to drive to about 74. Above that is took a lot to drive.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RJF View Post
    Ken’s grading video just came out. He makes the STS the best boat out of all the ones he graded and it’s a bunch. Says he is ordering one.
    Just curious but the best boat ever tested by Ken! I am not doubting him but I have to ask what (if any) affiliation does he have with Bass Cat or his Bass Cat dealer.

17. Member
    Go watched the videos and drop him an email is all I can tell you. He says he has no affiliation with BCB. And this is his opinion. Yours may be different. I will say he worked his backside off arraigning to run all the boats and shoot 3-4 videos for each boat.

18. Member
    Great response and help. I’m still learning coming out of a Ranger and it will take time to tame the beast.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post
    Just curious but the best boat ever tested by Ken! I am not doubting him but I have to ask what (if any) affiliation does he have with Bass Cat or his Bass Cat dealer.
    he does have an affiliation with bass cat now. But you should go and watch all of his boat review videos and you can see he was fair across the board and talked about what all he learned along the way.

Kromer, the factory intentionally had no comment or input on videos Ken did going back to the first video which was on the Puma FTD Hybrid 203 model. Ken mentions that we asked he not use factory personnel or staff for any videos to keep them less biased. When he reviewed the Lynx he spent some time explaining this.

We do sponsor his YouTube channel now, though we also don’t influence his opinions. The Bass Cat factory prefers all manufacturers be distanced from those reviewing their products. They feel that even as the presenters can sway results and bring positive accessories or comments on products into the thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast