My fried Crappie was mushy...

I fry winter/early spring crappie alot. Always seems to be flakey and great eating. I went out today and caught some and decided to eat them right away. Cleaned them and put in refrigerator for an hour or two. Fried them up and well it wasn't great. Fish seemed mushy. Did I cook too hot? Too long? I did have one other difference, I used Slap Your Momma fish batter. But I used it before years ago and liked it. What did I do wrong or was the summertime crappie just not as firm?

Possibly throw them on ice right away seems to help

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER487 View Post
    Possibly throw them on ice right away seems to help
    This. When we used to catch them to eat in the warmer weather we always took a cooler with ice. Put them straight on ice as soon as we caught them never went into livewell
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

4. mikesxpress
    Temperature and type of oil used?
    I stick to cottonseed oil.
    It has a high smoke point of 450 degrees Fahrenheit so it won't break down as fast as other oils when frying foods.

In the summer they get killed quickly and put on ice immediately. No livewell time for them.

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    In the summer they get killed quickly and put on ice immediately. No livewell time for them.
    This