2016 Optimax intermittent firing issue

2016 Optimax 200 serial 2B126177

motor ran fine Saturday until last stop. Would beep but not try to turnover.

Changed starting battery to identical one that I use for electronics. 1 had 55% charge the other had 85% per bluetooth management system.

got home and took cowling off, and motor fired right up.

I hate to have an intermittent issue that may show up next time.

thoughts what to test?

thanks
    tommy
    Last edited by tdcoleman; 07-10-2022 at 09:00 PM.
    Tommy Coleman
    2016 Ranger Z518C

2. Member
    neutral switch
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Do you mind telling me how to test that switch? is it in the throttle assembly?

thanks
    tommy
    Tommy Coleman
    2016 Ranger Z518C

4. Member
    sure dont mind , yes it is , there will be 2 yellow with red strp wires attached to it switch is close when in N and open when in gear, ohm meter , if it doesnt close will not spin over
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Well, this issue has arisen again. Back in 2022 I replaced the neutral switch and it lasted for almost 2 years. But i never determined if that was the issue. The odd thing is, when it happens now once I get towed in or trailer home it starts working again. It stopped and started back 3 times today. Is it possible its something else? Its so frustrating, no way to troubleshoot because it starts working again when I get home.
    Last edited by tdcoleman; 04-20-2024 at 07:18 PM.
    Tommy Coleman
    2016 Ranger Z518C

6. Member
    You can't fix it when it isn't broke. You're going to need to take some tools with you and try to locate the problem when it is happening. The quickest way for me to test is with a test light. I can probe voltage quickly and locate an issue just using that light. Start by checking for exciter voltage at the starter solenoid and work your way back. If there is voltage at the starter solenoid and it won't crank then the solenoid itself may be bad. My best guess is you have a battery cable issue. Make sure that all connections are clean and tight. I have seen corrosion in the crimped lugs of the battery cables that are not visible to the eye. Bear in mind that a connection can show voltage and not be able to pass the amps required. Edit to add: Get a wiring diagram and take it with you.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's clarify that what's occurring is you turn the key on, test beep and gauges light up, you turn key to START and NOTHING (no click, beep, or starter spinning occurs)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    When I turn the key initially, motor beeps, smartcraft initialies and says everything is good. But then it is “dead”, will not try to turnover. Fished again today and it worked all day. Only cranked it 5-6 times and I stayed close to the ramp but did not fail.

Could it be the ignition switch?
    Tommy Coleman
    2016 Ranger Z518C

9. Member
    Could be the neutral safety switch in the shifter. Next time it happens try jiggling the shifter handle fore and aft a little, if you can get it to start that way replace the switch.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... Next time it occurs, listen VERY carefully for any type of "click" inside the engine cowling when you attempt to start.

Also, move the shifter handle as Phil suggested. The switch in that control can completely interrupt the start signal going to the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    I do hear a click, but I thought it was the fuel pump. I did jiggle the throttle and it did not seem to affect it. thanks for the input
    Tommy Coleman
    2016 Ranger Z518C

12. Member
    fuel ;pumps will be a buzzing sound port side of engine

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea to get someone to listen to the STB/Right side of the engine. Slave solenoid is on the electrical plate below the PCM.