Question Replace or rebuild vortex wheel hub?

2016 trailstar trailer with vortex hubs. Went to lake smelled grease noticed dust cap on one wheel missing ,had spare cap replaced went home new cap gone wheel hot must of heated up and cap came off again. Seems like a bad bearing?Hub? I need some advice maybe some video links? I'm very handy but have never done anything other than add grease to my wheels. 2016 dual axel trailer, drivers side rear wheel. Thanks

You say your handy---should be no problem.
    google a "how to video" and get started.
    Once you pull it apart you can tell a lot more.
    Does sound like yours has internal issues which caused the first one to come off. However, the replacement will need some loctite or silicone.

3. Member
    Rear axle a brake axle or no? If not, you can just buy the Vortex hub pre assembled with grease and everything and swap the whole mess out. Not a whole lot more to that route than changing a tire.

4. Member
    Yes it has a brake, I haven't taken wheel off yet, can the rotor come off the hub?

5. Member
    Yes I'm looking to buy new loaded hub assembly

6. Member
    Some trailers use integrated rotors and some use slip on rotor. Not familiar with your trailer specifically, you could convert to a slip on if that's what you wanted. Easternmarine has a Vortex brake hub that would be a direct replacement if you have an integrated rotor and seems to be pre-greased if I read the specs correctly. Pretty costly though and comes with a new caliper, which you probably wouldn't need and/or want.

TIEDOWN 10 in. Vented Cap Style GalvX Disc Brake Kit w/ Vortex Hubs #82061 (easternmarine.com)

7. Member
    Thanks for the info guys, I haven't had time to brake it down yet but when I plug my trailer info into the white river parts break down it has separate numbers for the hub assembly and rotor. So I'm assuming 2 pieces. Granted I can't find the part under their number anywhere. Time to make some calls!

8. Member
    Used the dexter vortex hub by tie down #81022. Went on smooth. Road test next. My nitro has slide on rotors.

9. Member
    Just for information purposes I will be taking orders for aluminum vortex cap replacements $150 a set plus shipping

10. Member
    It is easy to remove the brake calipers from the hub, then simply put in new bearings and races, fill with the proper grease/oil, and hammer the cap back on. You should replace the o-ring.