I think I caught the same fish twice yesterday

Got the crankbait fish around 2:00
    zisland2.png
    And one on a brush hog 5 hours later, 100' away from the first (threw it while the crank was hung in some rocks)
    zisland1.png

Both weighed 3.89# on the same scale.

Odd day: calm water, zero clouds, water visibility 6'-8', tannin stained. Could only pick up a few small fish on plastics around boulder shade and dollar pads - figured I'd have to go deep for them. Put on a shallow (6'-7') diver and got broken off (2#er - yeah, she jumped and showed it to me), tied on that yellow one and got the one in the pic, another 3#, a couple 2#s and maybe 6 more keepers - all on offshore rocks in <10' with no weeds around. I'm an old fart in training, but crankbaits have me reevaluating some of the things regarding bass behavior that I was certain about for so long.

2. Member
    So it's funny you say that about bass behavior. This year I have consciously tried to throw other lures other than a drop shot. I am now turning into a jig geek. Fished Pawtuckaway this am, did awesome 12ft water. Most of my fish came off clean rock. Find weeds mixed in, no fish.

Sounds like a good day.
    Gald you guys are getting out
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    jig 12ft water. Most of my fish came off clean rock. Find weeds mixed in, no fish.
    When the water temp gets up like this, try a 3/4 oz jig (Arkie for me) on that type of cover. The fast drop can trigger non-eaters (learned this one at Northwood).
    Any size at Pawtuckaway?

Here's the lineup from yesterday at Massasecum, fishing rocks in 8'-14'
    zzoom.jpg

Got 20-25, biggest under 3#. The three in the middle did all the damage except for two on the 'Hog. I think the slow growth in the deep grass this year has put a greater number of fish than usual on these deeper/hard structures (a real boon for me learning a little bit about this technique). I was all about the DS the last two seasons on the outside grass line (I love not throwing it).

you guys are getting out

Keepin' me out of the asylum

5. Member
    It has been a weird spring, and these posts really help drive that point home. They're all over the place in one week's time. I went from hammering them out deep off of grassy covered rocks to a foot of water in lilly pads only on the same body of water the following weekend. Yesterday for smallies on Dublin we could only get bit on heavy jigs for the most part, they'd inhale it on the first drop. Tried a bunch of stuff but that bite was so consistent, confident it was just triggering that reactionary bite. The last 6 years or so really, since we got that first really bad drought, it's been so weirdly inconsistent for these fish in post spawn. Definitely keeps you on your toes!

6. Member
    [QUOTE=bassboat1;12577014]When the water temp gets up like this, try a 3/4 oz jig (Arkie for me) on that type of cover. The fast drop can trigger non-eaters (learned this one at Northwood).
    Any size at Pawtuckaway?

So I was using a 3/8 Boss rock crawler. Most of my fish came off a rocky flat maybe the size of a basketball court. Bait was everywhere. On livescope my bait would fall and fish would dart at it. I tried a 1/2 but honestly I think it was falling too fast. Still got a few bites, but stuck with my tried and true. Bite was from 430 to about 7 am then it was over. Best 5 would have put me north of 19lbs. I need one of those rapala scales to record my weight for my best 5.
    Coolest thing was watching the schools of crappie bust balls of bait on livescope. They would practically circle it then bam.

7. Member
    [QUOTE=A Wood;12577893]
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Bite was from 430 to about 7 am then it was over. Best 5 would have put me north of 19lbs.
    Woah, you done good! I wouldn't be changing a dang thing. I think I've been on the water by 6:00 once this season.. guess now I know what I might be missing!

8. Member
    Haha, hot weekend left by 945 when the circus show was just beginning. Lot was packed fully with a stream of people heading that way.