Merc 250 pro xs rough idle

SN 2b534500

2018 optimax pro xs

Started having a rough idle yesterday so pulled plugs and all 3 on port were very fouled with soot. All 3 on starboard had normal wear.

Unfortunately the lakes I guide on nearly daily have A LOT of idle zones so much of my time running big engine is at idle speeds.

I started noticing a non burnt fuel smell at idle when I was down wind as well.

Anything I should check on my own besides just replacing plugs and giving her a go?
    2018 Nitro Z21

I'm better than you
    http://www.facebook.com/vincent.hytry

2. Member
    The idle time is the problem and nothing you can do to correct that if in idle zones. I would confirm both thermostats are clean and working correctly and, if you're putting more than 100hrs on a set of plugs in a year's time, change them every 100hrs.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    pull the stbd side rail away from head leaving direct inj in head key on look for any fuel dripping from rail , check tracker valve diaphram
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... above suggestions are all good places to start.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I replaced plugs and definitely runs better but still a terrible idle. Did a few hot laps around the lake to burn anything up and runs great on plane and gets on plane like normal but still terrible idle. No codes being thrown just running like a old 2.5 efi on a cold morning at idle.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1... above suggestions are all good places to start.
    results ??????? yet
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

If it was too much idle time, why wouldn't that affect the starboard plugs?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    results ??????? yet
    Haven't been home much and now away for a wedding. I'll be back on the water all this coming week.