Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smallmouth Question

I am trying to learn smallmouth and have a question about todays adventures. I went out this morning to chase smallmouth on my local clear water lake in northern Michigan. I found fish in 6-8’ of water on the edge of underwater weed beds. I could see them sitting on the edges and suspended above the weed beds. I threw an underspin with paddletail, weightless fluke, and swim jig. I also threw a Ned rig and tube a little around the edges. Looking for some thoughts on what else I could have tried to get a bite. I had a short strike on the under spin and a follow on the swim jig but that was it. Very frustrating morning…but still beats the hell out of working.

2. Member
    Maybe try a spy bait. Something about the quiet subtle movement of them triggers smallies to strike.

3. Member
    I fish for smallmouth bass in NW Wisconsin, and we had similar conditions yesterday and due to a cold front, the previous day, the smallmouth bass would only slap at our faster reaction lures like 1/4oz OSP High Pitcher spinnerbaits, LC 1.0DD DRS shallow crankbaits, and Megabass Karashi finesse topwater lures.

After discovering this lower activity level, we backed off from the deep weed edge of 6-8' into deeper water (12-14ft) and presented "finesse" Megabass X-Nanahan jerkbaits which dives down to ~4ft, perpendicular to the weed edge and while I could see the fish approach the jerkbait from underneath on my Lowrance Active Target, they were unwilling to come up and hit the lure.

Next, I then switched to the Megabass X-Nanahan+1 which dives to ~6ft in the Ito Kinari color (bright chartreuse back with transparent body and bright orange belly) and I saw three fish come up from the weed edge and approach the lure, but again none of them would bite it.

Finally, I switched out to the same lure but in the Wagin Hasu P1 color which is an excellent shad/minnow imitator and this time, the same three fish came up and one of them hit the lure. Once we figured out the correct lure/pattern, we were able to catch 55 smallmouth bass including a couple of larger fish that were in the 3-4# range before we called it a day at noon due to the incoming heat and high humidity.

It has been my experience in 32-years of smallmouth bass fishing, that anytime the smallmouth bass only slap at or follow faster reaction lures, it's a cue to present slower more methodical presentations. In this case, we would have progressed next to a DUO realis Spinbait 80 or 60 spybait, and then to a finesse soft plastic presentation if the jerkbait had not worked in helping us catch the smallmouth bass we could see on the Lowrance Ghost 360 and Active Target that were relating to the deep weed edge on this specific body of water.

I am not advocating that you suddenly go out and order a ton of really expensive JDM lures and fishing tackle, but if you are serious about smallmouth bass fishing, it does require a more nuanced set of techniques and lures (typically smaller version of lures) than largemouth bass on days when they are not actively hitting reaction baits and presentations.

Good luck on your smallmouth bass fishing journey and please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

If you could see them they could see you. Once you figure out where they are move on and get the bait to them with the longest cast you can.
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Maybe try a spy bait. Something about the quiet subtle movement of them triggers smallies to strike.
    I have never tried that. I will have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    I fish for smallmouth bass in NW Wisconsin, and we had similar conditions yesterday and due to a cold front, the previous day, the smallmouth bass would only slap at our faster reaction lures like 1/4oz OSP High Pitcher spinnerbaits, LC 1.0DD DRS shallow crankbaits, and Megabass Karashi finesse topwater lures.

After discovering this lower activity level, we backed off from the deep weed edge of 6-8' into deeper water (12-14ft) and presented "finesse" Megabass X-Nanahan jerkbaits which dives down to ~4ft, perpendicular to the weed edge and while I could see the fish approach the jerkbait from underneath on my Lowrance Active Target, they were unwilling to come up and hit the lure.

Next, I then switched to the Megabass X-Nanahan+1 which dives to ~6ft in the Ito Kinari color (bright chartreuse back with transparent body and bright orange belly) and I saw three fish come up from the weed edge and approach the lure, but again none of them would bite it.

Finally, I switched out to the same lure but in the Wagin Hasu P1 color which is an excellent shad/minnow imitator and this time, the same three fish came up and one of them hit the lure. Once we figured out the correct lure/pattern, we were able to catch 55 smallmouth bass including a couple of larger fish that were in the 3-4# range before we called it a day at noon due to the incoming heat and high humidity.

It has been my experience in 32-years of smallmouth bass fishing, that anytime the smallmouth bass only slap at or follow faster reaction lures, it's a cue to present slower more methodical presentations. In this case, we would have progressed next to a DUO realis Spinbait 80 or 60 spybait, and then to a finesse soft plastic presentation if the jerkbait had not worked in helping us catch the smallmouth bass we could see on the Lowrance Ghost 360 and Active Target that were relating to the deep weed edge on this specific body of water.

I am not advocating that you suddenly go out and order a ton of really expensive JDM lures and fishing tackle, but if you are serious about smallmouth bass fishing, it does require a more nuanced set of techniques and lures (typically smaller version of lures) than largemouth bass on days when they are not actively hitting reaction baits and presentations.

That is great info. Thank you for breaking it down for me like that. Smallmouth are definitely a different animal than spots and largemouth!

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    If you could see them they could see you. Once you figure out where they are move on and get the bait to them with the longest cast you can.
    They didn’t seem spooked at at all just not interested. I did do that though. I moved off the weed beds and casted back but no luck. I just have to keep at it and not let them beat me down.

8. Member
    I think you should have moved off until the weeds were not visible anymore. Then try a drop shot with a 2.8 Keitech or any other type of baitfish resembling plastic. The distance from weight to bait should be kept at a minimum. I like no more than 6" so it is just above the bottom. Catch a lot of smallies targeting spotted bass in No. CAL lakes.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

9. Member
    If I were you I would throw some topwater lures at them. In my neck of the woods smallies, largemouth AND walleyes have been crushing them shallow.

I usually fish in the morning before I go to work, 4 to 6:15 am. I fish shallow flats, less than 6 feet of water.

I have two rods rigged with topwater baits, Gunfish 115 and arbogast jitterbug 1/2 ounce. I am not saying that you need these particular baits just giving examples.

Back off. Try Maxscent or other stinky baits on a drop shot. 1/16 oz black hair jig can be good too. If the wind blows, burn a spinner bait. Speed kills…

11. Member
    This is an exceptional post. Well written and nailed it! Well stated!! Tight lines.

Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post

12. Moderator
    Totally agree with City 17 Banner. Some very good info.

13. Banned
    Top water or a 110 jr in pro blue fished fast would of worked.

Thank you all. Great info and some things I didn’t think of.

15. Member
    Leave area and come back later but stay way off of them.

16. Member
    Agree with backing off...when clear water smallies don't want to bite my go to is the small Gulp leech on a dropshot but I bet they would have eaten a spybait.

17. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    When they are being fussy like that, it's hard to beat a black marabou jig fluttering about.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

18. Member
    Now that you know where they are , back away a good distance and use a drop shot. depending on how high the weeds are put the hook 12-18 inches avove the sinker. I lik to use a Zmann tickle or TRD for the bait. Houdini is a good color. Now you can let it sit right in front of there face , be patient !!!
    2013 Lund Impact 1775 Merc 115,Console= Helix 12 Chirp Mega si+ Gps Gen4 , Bow= Helix10 Mega Di , MK Terrova 80 lb US2 , 2 MK 12ft Talons, 2011 Ram 1500
    Retired Field Engineer.

19. Member
    Another good option I haven't seen mentioned is the good ole 4" wacky senko. Kind of boring, but it works
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

20. Member
    And sometimes you just have to live with it. You see them; they see you, and they ignore everything you throw at them ... and I've tried most of the things suggested here. You just go elsewhere and fish. Then you come back and try again. It might be using something as crazy as a 1/2 oz chartreuse and white spinnerbait that will get them going. They've had time to regroup and smallmouth in a group will bite better then if they are alone or spread over a certain area. But sometimes, all of the things suggested here will work for ONE fish and one fish only. After cathing one, the others will go back to ignoring you.
    Last edited by Real L; 07-14-2022 at 10:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast