Anyone have experience with Solarez Diamond UV clear coat?

Have a pile of baits that I am refurbishing and need to repaint. Devcon is what I used to use but wanted to give the UV stuff a try. These are my own baits and honestly I don't mind a matte finish at all.
    I ordered a UV lamp and a out to order the Solarez. Anyone have any tips etc on using it. I imagine I am just gonna brush it on with a brush and not spray it through airbrush.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 07-09-2022 at 07:09 PM.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I am more interested in the Solarez. Thanks

4. Member
    Any reason you prefer Solarez over another type UV finish, such as Alumilite? Just curious, as I refinish baits, and Alumilite works great if applied correctly, which is pretty simple. It is a gloss finish, but I think if you don’t care if it’s matte, I get it, everything kinda looks gloss when wet��. I don’t have a financial interest, it’s just what I use. I’m sure you know, there are many options available, but none are perfect, IMO. I started using Solarez, but didn’t care for it, but I’m sure they have made new products and improvements since I used it many years prior.

FYI. I did consider the clear in the link, but my input from others is that it requires multiple coats to get good coverage, and it’s recommended to use a quality respirator. I have used it dipping from a quart container, and if everything goes correctly, it’s a beautiful finish. However, there are storage issues, and a tendency to get bubbles in the finish if not done just right. It also has some potent fumes. It’s a good way to do multiple lures, but there is a chance of a “bubble issue”, which detracts from the job. If it’s just you using them, that might not bother you. I have no idea if the bubbles affect the durability.

Best of luck.

Shout out if you need any results of my attempts at finding the perfect finish, easy to apply, quick cure time, durable, and no toxic fumes to deal with.

Ron
    Last edited by Ron H 520; 07-15-2022 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron H 520 View Post
    Any reason you prefer Solarez over another type UV finish, such as Alumilite? Just curious, as I refinish baits, and Alumilite works great if applied correctly, which is pretty simple. It is a gloss finish, but I think if you don’t care if it’s matte, I get it, everything kinda looks gloss when wet��. I don’t have a financial interest, it’s just what I use. I’m sure you know, there are many options available, but none are perfect, IMO. I started using Solarez, but didn’t care for it, but I’m sure they have made new products and improvements since I used it many years prior.

FYI. I did consider the clear in the link, but my input from others is that it requires multiple coats to get good coverage, and it’s recommended to use a quality respirator. I have used it dipping from a quart container, and if everything goes correctly, it’s a beautiful finish. However, there are storage issues, and a tendency to get bubbles in the finish if not done just right. It also has some potent fumes. It’s a good way to do multiple lures, but there is a chance of a “bubble issue”, which detracts from the job. If it’s just you using them, that might not bother you. I have no idea if the bubbles affect the durability.

Best of luck.

Shout out if you need any results of my attempts at finding the perfect finish, easy to apply, quick cure time, durable, and no toxic fumes to deal with.

Ron

I have no opinion of Solarez to say if I prefer it or not. I just want to give it a try.

6. Member
    Sounds good. I’m sure they have improved it for the use you described. It was strong when cured, just didn’t fit my finishing needs. Been a while back though. Best of luck hope you don’t get addicted like I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron H 520 View Post
    Best of luck hope you don’t get addicted like I have.
    He's long past that stage....

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    He's long past that stage....
    True. Between all the soft plastics molds and equipment, 3-4 airbrushes and everything needed plus lead pouring mold, jig skirt material and components to make most any type of spinnerbait, jig or buzzbait I think I might have a problem. If I can't make it I bet I know someone else that probably can.....

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    True. Between all the soft plastics molds and equipment, 3-4 airbrushes and everything needed plus lead pouring mold, jig skirt material and components to make most any type of spinnerbait, jig or buzzbait I think I might have a problem. If I can't make it I bet I know someone else that probably can.....
    Gets out of hand quick. I went the lead pouring route for a while, I used a mold my dad had way back in the day, just to say I did it, and have some like he threw, it was designed for hair jigs. One of his hair jigs is what I caught my first bass over 5 when I was about 8 or 9 Y/O. Also went through powder coating, quit that after a while.

10. Member
    Solarez used to be a popular option as a build coat on balsa baits but I don’t know of anyone that uses it anymore. I tried it a few times and don’t care for it that much. I never talked to anyone that liked it as a top coat. Most guys are still using some form of epoxy but I don’t like the mess and dealing with a turner if I don’t have to. Spraying is the way to go but quality clear is $$$ and requires a good paint booth.