UFP A-60 Disc Brake Actuator Inner Slide.

Just rebuild the UFP DB35 brake calipers. Reverse bled the system, new DOT 4 fluid......Looks like it's the actuator. System is 16 years old. I think I'm going to go with the whole inner slide.

Anyone have any experience replacing this slide, thoughts?

https://www.trailerandtruckparts.com...-10_p_593.html
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

Not a big deal. Just make sure you get photos of how the breakaway cable is routed. Also don't forget the plastic spacers/sliders/ wear sleeves or whatever they are called.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Cut two 3/4” wooden dowels the same length as the inner housing. Push the roller pins through with the dowels to keep everything together to remove the actuator. Do the same when installing the new one. Push the wooden dowels out with the new roller pins.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

4. Member
    I have only seen dot 3 on trailers myself
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    I have only seen dot 3 on trailers myself
    Not much difference. DOT 4 has a higher boiling point. If your factory application is DOT 3, you can mix in DOT 4. However if the factory application is DOT 4 you should not mix with DOT 3.

https://mechanicbase.com/brakes/dot-3-vs-dot-4/
    Ed R.

6. Member
    I have the slide on order. Thanks for the advise on the photos and spacers. The wooden dowels sound interesting. Sounds like the dowels could avoid that mishap where you need three hands.

Going to start lubricating the roller pins now.
    Ed R.

7. mikesxpress
    If you have a swing away tongue it's much easier to remove the assembly and R&R the actuator upsidedown.

Spray white lithium grease on the pins and slide areas. Honk it in there. Make your next trip and then wipe off the excess. *Works great on the acme threads inside your jack too.

8. Member
    Mike, I do have a swing away. I'll check it out when I get started. Thanks.
    Ed R.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Spray white lithium grease on the pins and slide areas. Honk it in there. Make your next trip and then wipe off the excess. *Works great on the acme threads inside your jack too.
    As part of annual maintenance, for me at least, it is a good idea to remove the pins one at a time, clean things up and soak things down with white lithium again. But there again, I flush and replace the fluid annually also.

10. Member
    SOOOOO A60 actuator has arrived. No problem getting the actuator out, BUT, I need to disconnect the brake line. Cannot disconnect from the solenoid, it is not a compression fitting. The short 12" rubber tubing will not turn enough. the other end is a 5/8" on the rubber, and a small compression that I cannot quit access.

Any idea what I'm looking at, or how to go about this?

Ed R.

11. Member
    Mine looked like that and I just pulled the hose out of that little clip that holds it. That got me some more length to access the connection.

12. Member
    do you recall the nut size on the rigid brake line, 3/8"?
    Ed R.

13. Member
    Next question. Anyone know the bolt number/hardness on the swing away tongue?

Ed R.

14. mikesxpress
    Ed boat OEMs/trailer mfg use different bolt configurations. Best to match your bolt in a grade 8 for replacement. If you don't use the swing away, get two bolts/locknuts and eliminate the removable pin. It will make it solid and eliminate some slop. Grease both pins and tighten.

15. Member
    Good thread. I will be executing this same project soon. Good tips.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Cut two 3/4” wooden dowels the same length as the inner housing. Push the roller pins through with the dowels to keep everything together to remove the actuator. Do the same when installing the new one. Push the wooden dowels out with the new roller pins.
    Worked like a charm! Thanks for the tip!
    Ed R.

17. Member
    If you have a swing away tongue it's much easier to remove the assembly and R&R the actuator upsidedown.

Great advise! I can't get two wrenches, a light, and my fat hands in that 2x4" hole in the frame, and the 1/16" turns on the nut was a non starter.... Pulled the swing away apart and flipped it over. No problem getting at the actuator and line, but I did have to turn/rotate the tongue as the brake line was not a slip type fitting. Easier than the alternative.

Ed boat OEMs/trailer mfg use different bolt configurations. Best to match your bolt in a grade 8 for replacement. If you don't use the swing away, get two bolts/locknuts and eliminate the removable pin. It will make it solid and eliminate some slop. Grease both pins and tighten.
    I have a 2006 "SC Trailer" with a swing away tongue. The hard bolt for this trailer is a 5/8" grade 5 medium carbon steel, quenched and tempered, 5.5" long with lock nut. I went with Mikes advise and replaced the bolt and removable pin with two grade 8 bolts and lock nuts.

I haven't used the swing away tongue in 16 years........No doubt I will need that option next week!
    Last edited by Ed R; 07-25-2022 at 04:35 AM.
    Ed R.

18. mikesxpress

Many of us never use the swing away. Keep the drop in pin for resale.