2008 HPDI Series 2, Compression 50

Sitting on roughly 750 hours (this 2008 HPDI Series 2 sits on a 2008 20i in excellent condition). Motor start making a clanking sound while idling. This continued for about a week, and then it began shutting down at idle. I'd have to feather the gas to keep it running. As soon as I give it gas, it runs normally. I also found if I gave it gas while in neutral, it would shut down. Brought it to marina, ran a compression test and one of the cylinders was at 50 :-/ My understanding is that even if a new powerhead would solve the issue, that they are discontinued for this motor. I'm going to try a ring free shock treatment and powertune but I'm not hopeful that "carbon buildup" is the problem. I've always ran high quality fuel, treated every fill up with ring free, and use the rig very very often.

I have a great relationship with this marina and mechanic. I am certain he looked at this closely to rule out quick fixes or. But I also think they way they operate is that if they see compression is that bad, they stop. They're not staffed well enough right now to spend another 10 hours diagnosing more subtle possibilities.

It's time for an upgrade. But In a perfect world, I'd like to improve the compression so I can salvage some value. Because if not, I feel like i'll be forced to trade-in and simply take what I can get.

Appreciate any feedback ya'll have as always!

2. Member
    Jason Mcfalls in north Georgia specializes in rebuilding HPDI motors. I would look him up.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

3. Member
    Without knowing the extent of the damage I don't see getting there from here. Whatever there is to be.

I don't seen carbon build up as being the problem.

Borescope the cylinder that is down on compression. Actually, borescope them all just to see what is to be seen. At a minimum, I would then pull the head on the side with the bad cylinder and take a look. You might get lucky and have just one cylinder that is the problem. Hopefully the damage is so minor that a repair can be performed in situ.

Take lots of photos. Maybe send them to Chris Carson Marine or Hydrotec Marine to get additional opinions.

4. Member
    thanks fellas

5. Member
    JTM OUTBOARDS.. Chatsworth, GA (706)618-9611 Jason is on Facebook. He rebuilt my HPDI and no issues. Very knowledgeable.