Thread: Yamaha VF150La

Yamaha VF150La

I have a question for someone who knows about yamaha engines.

I have a 2015 yamaha VF150LA sho on my 118c Ranger bass boat ( 18' plus a few inches) I run at higher altitude which really kills my HP.
    I top out at around 45-50 MPH depending on how I am loaded. Props are good. I have ran two, both are getting close to the limiter, sometimes it will peg.

At any rate, There doesnt seem to be any tunes that look like they might be worth the investment. But I was looking at the other 2.8L engines and part #'s.
    The only difference between the 150LA and the 200LA looks to be the ECU and gear ratios in the lower unit.
    Same with the 175LA.

Shouldnt it be possible to order an install a 200hp ECU into the 150 motor...... The blocks are the same....
    Not looking to run 80 mph... Just wanting to keep up with everyone else come derby day..

TIA
    LP

2. Member
    I have a 2014 VF150LA SHO motor on a Phoenix 618 and had similar questions several months ago. This is what I learned from the help of several BBC board members and my conversation with Simon Performance Technology. The VF150 & VF175 hp SHO motors have some additional low end and midrange torque and performance programed into their ECM's for better hole shot and mid range acceleration over the standard "F" motors. This is the reason I didn't consider interchanging the ECM's from the "F" motors, only the one from the 175SHO. The "rev limiter" for both the 150 & 175 SHO motors is set for 6200 rpms. The ECM from the 2015 175SHO, part #6FH-8591A-00-00, will interchange and work on our years' 150 SHO's. The best price I found for the 175 SHO ECM is on boats.net for $992.06 + tax or about $1070.00 where I'm located. The advantage of using this ECM is that it is a Yamaha factory OEM part. The disadvantages are it is relatively expensive, you will need to add the estimated hours used with this ECM to the hours on your original ECM to keep up with your actual total motor hours, and you will probably have to reinstall the original 150 ECM on your motor to have it serviced at a Yamaha dealer.

Simon Performance Technology offers a flash of the 150 & 175 hp SHO motors to 200hp for $675.00 plus shipping both ways (about $50.00) or total of apprx. $725.00. The advantages of the Simon flash are: it is about $350.00 less expensive than the OEM 175 SHO ECM, you are using your original ECM maintaining the total motor hours on it, and you won't have to swap ECM's to have dealer services performed. The following is what I learned from my conversation with Simons, plus they were very helpful and quick to respond to my questions.
    1. What can the hp be increased to on the 150 SHO leaving the rev limiter stock? 200 HP. 2. I understand the 150 SHO motor has some additional low end and mid range torque already programed into the stock ECM. Does this remain unchanged? The tuning is throughout for improved performance 3. My 150 SHO is on a Phoenix 618 that weighs approximately 2700 lbs. loaded w/2 people. What kind of estimated top end performance gains would be experienced given the 2.0 gear ratio of the 150 SHO? The gains vary so much, I can't really say for sure. The info I have is that if you prop correctly, you could see a gain of about 1 MPH per 10HP. 4. What is the cost to have the flash done? $675.00 plus shipping 5. What is the estimated turn-a-round time? 2-4 wks, altho it may be quicker. It really depends on what he has on his plate when it arrives. 6. Is there a warranty on the flashed ECM? If, for some reason, you are not happy with the tune, you can send it back and we will tune it back to stock and refund your money. (Honestly, I can't recall that ever happening). Also, with the 2.0 gears of the 150, you will need to prop so that you are spinning in the 6-6200 range once you have the tuned ECU back.

I am leaning toward having Simons do the flash on my ECM for the following reasons: It's too hot to be on the lake in GA right now with our temperatures in the high 90 - low 100* temps, so down time isn't a problem. My research has found that Simon's reputation and customer service is very good, and the $350 savings over the OEM 175 SHO ECM can be used, if necessary, to have either my 23" Tempest or 22" Yamaha SHO prop repitched & Blueprinted by Mark Croxton for best performance and to operate within the recommended rpm range of the flashed ECM.

Hope this helps.

"
    Last edited by OnTRAK; 07-09-2022 at 12:08 PM.

3. Member
    Thanks Ontrack this does help. I have considered Simons as well too, the biggest things stopping me are having to ship out the ECU ( tourney season here in Idaho) and I havent really found anyone that could tell me what kind of gains I could expect. They also look kind of generic with no real data out there to look at. Nizpro is supposed to be coming out with a tune as well, it is a little bit more but they will send the programer as well. You would be able to reflash back to original and do all the programming yourself. Problem is they are on hold due to supply chain issues. (they can't find the connectors for the cable harness)

I'm still curious if a 200 ECM would plug and play with the 150. I am not as concerned with hole shot as I am increasing the speed. I would think with added horsepower hole shot would improve as well. I know either way i will have to do some prop work. ( Gonna have to do that anyway, I hit a gravel bar last weekend...LOL)

If I have to send an ECU out it probably wont be till winter. Nizpro may or may not have something available by then. Problem then is i have to wait till spring to test it out. etc.
    I would be extremely interested to know what gains you get if/when you have yours done.

Thanks
    LP

4. Member
    I doubt the gains that might be made would be worth the cost.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL