Venting AVX step box

Like many others, I find the step box on my avx1980 gets unusually wet. I find that I am not really using it because even things like sunscreen and coozies, that I don't really care about geting wet are getting mold on them. It is in such a great location that I don't want to give up on it. I was thinking of drilling some venting holes maybe an inch wide near the top. Wondering if anybody has tried something like that?

How is it getting wet. Rain , humidity ?
    I live in a very dry climate,?so I don’t have water getting in that box. I use mine as a day box.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    I'm curious as well since my step box has been dry except for when I have fished or towed through rainy conditions. I do follow a standard procedure after each fishing trip of venting all my compartments and turning on my floor fans (one on each end of the boat) overnight so perhaps this process has helped keep my step box dry?

Like ifishinxs, I use my step box as a day box for my immediate use lures and soft plastics during each fishing trip and then I put the lures back in their respective tackle boxes and restock the step box the night before the next time I go fishing.

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

I’ve never had that problem.

I had my boat built without the thing

I had heard of water issues. Plus the fact I’m 6’4 with size 13 feet I thought it would be in the way.

5. Member
    I have a problem when it rains. It actually seeps through the bottom. I think it "wicks" through the carpet.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    I have a problem when it rains. It actually seeps through the bottom. I think it "wicks" through the carpet.
    Yes- mine gets wet even with a modest amount of rain. The carpet wicking makes sense. Seems like day box is the way to go.

If its wicking up through the carpet there should be an easy fix to stop it. I’m fortunate enough to keep my boat in my garage.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I use mine but put everything in a deep Tupperware container inside the box.
    Mark
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury Pro XS 150
    Lowrance HDS 9s
    Lowrance Ghost
    6" Slidemaster Jackplate

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaws134 View Post
    I use mine but put everything in a deep Tupperware container inside the box.
    I also put a deep plastic container inside my box. I ordered a rubber seal for the top edge of box for preventing water from entering around the lid.

10. Member
    My step box is only 1 of 2 boxes that seem to stay dry and with no condensation issues.