2000 jhonson 225 Reed wear

Have a 2000 jhonson 225 carb engine, number j225hglssc, I'm rebuilding my carbs and I peered into the reeds and they look to be in good shape. No carbon at all on intake side, but I noticed the gold coating is eating away on them. One worse than the others, is this normal?

2. Member
    get a set of carson reeds with the time and money they say
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    get a set of carson reeds with the time and money they say
    That didn't help with what I'm trying to find out.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You shouldn't see any carbon on the reeds, I'd have to say fuel is the culprit in this case. May have to get into the intake for closer inspection. I wouldn't worry much about it as long as they are all sealing properly.

5. Banned
    This golden coating, the reeds are a stainless alloy and are not gold colored. Unless they are some aftermarket stuff, maybe.

I would more think this is just fuel and oil residue being left behind, mostly the oil of coarse, as most of the gas evaporates. This depending on temperature, can be even somewhat tacky or sticky. Don't use anything like a screwdriver or scraper to remover or even poke around in the Reed box.

You could, just for a quick check spray the reeds in one area with Berryman B-12 Chem-tool. This will wash that brownish or even golden oil residue off easy enough. I would not try to use a lot to remove all this while you have the carbs off. You can get all this oil residue off by de-carbonizing your motor once you get it running.

That might even appear peeling, just me but this just sounds like the more we use the 2-stroke motors, they build this oil residue up in the front of the motor(intake) through the crankcase area especially behind rings on the pistons as well as the combustion chambers.

You have that golden color build up on the colder side of the motor which is the intake, it doesn't get to the darker color or even burned on color till it gets in the piston area where the heat really ramps up quick. Big temp swing from intake to the pistons and combustion area.

All this can and should be removed all by doing the decarbonizing process on our 2-stroke motors. All this can be removed with the correct chemicals, process and time. I decarbonize mine once a year and I use the best oil I can buy. You buy the less expensive oils, heck I get it, you may use your boat enough to decarbonize twice a year. You just don't want to let that all get built up on the inside of our 2-stroke motors. I do my lawn equipment also. It uses oil in the gas, it will need to be decarbonized.

It's doing that, or plan to do bigger maintenance and/or replace as the pistons get stuck in the cylinder bore. Now while I am not a big fan of carbon fiber reeds unless your motor rpm profile runs 6500 or more. The 7000 rpm motors would really see big benefits of them.

A great set of carbon fiber reeds, while are state of the art, can be ruined with just one lean spit. They are not so forgiving when your running a temperamental 2-stroke.

Yes, all those motors running 7000 rpm’s or more, are the very definition of temperamental and/or finicky lol. These motors are more hands on and for those reasons.
    Hope some of this helps.

6. Member
    Ok I'm in serious need of an actual jhonson tech, the guy I hired to go through the engine is incompetent, I'm not a moron by any means but I'm not super familiar with these engines and systems. Anyone have a knowledge tech they recommend me to I can talk to

7. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Reply #4. A very very knowledgeable tech has chimed in unless you are looking for a face to face..

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Reply #4. A very very knowledgeable tech has chimed in unless you are looking for a face to face..
    More or less looking to call someone and explain it. I could type out a book with the test I have done and what it's doing and when it started. I'll send a pm to the guy above