Thread: Bonafide kayak.

Bonafide kayak.

Thinking about getting into a Kayak and have been looking at a few lower to mid price fishing rigs. I found a nice looking bonafide ss107 with everything needed to get going for $1000. Has anyone been in one? I'll also seen a feelfree moken 10 v2 that's new for $700. I plan on just getting a 10 footer for the areas I will use it in.

2. Member
    Watching.

3. Member
    Bonafide kayaks are a good brand and very well designed for fishing. I purchased a Wilderness ATAK, but almost got the Bonafide. I think that this one has a pod for fish-finder. Not sure about the moken. Recommend that you look for a "Demo Days" in your area and try a few. Several kayak sellers have these every few months. Mariner Sails in Dallas has several demo days per year.

Note that it is actually easier to paddle a longer kayak as you get less side-to-side movement with each stroke. I would recommend a 12' yak if you are able to transport.

Keys to good kayak fishing:

1. Get the right yak. Bonafide is a good brand.
    2. Do not cheap out on the paddle. Good ones are >$100. This can ruin the trip.
    3. Make sure you know how it will be transported. It is hard to lift a kayak to top of car/Suv.

4. Member
    I have a bonafide ss127. I love fishing out of it. Very stable and maneuverable. Like others said demo as many kayaks as you can and find the one that fits you best.

I tested the Bonafide 127 before I bought my Pelican. The Bonafide is a great kayak, but I wanted the peddle drive. Not sure about the shorter version but the 127 is very stable, I was able to stand up in it very easily.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I have called the only real Kayak shop in the area and no demo days till it cools off. A shop in Austin has a pool that they use for sitting on stuff. So I will try to hit them when I'm down there in 2 weeks. I want to look at the feel free lure series and the molken 10 v2

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin R. View Post
    I have called the only real Kayak shop in the area and no demo days till it cools off. A shop in Austin has a pool that they use for sitting on stuff. So I will try to hit them when I'm down there in 2 weeks. I want to look at the feel free lure series and the molken 10 v2
    Demo as much as you can before buying. A good kayak shop is the way to go. Too many people buy cheap kayaks or settle on one brand too quickly without trying it and end up hating it.

I had a Feelfree Lure 11.5 for about 3 years. It's very stable but not fast at all...and it is on the heavier side. The wheel in the keel is a cool concept but not the greatest at times for getting the kayak to the water. The seat also need to be checked often to ensure the bolts stay in place...I put loctite on all of them since they liked to loosen up.

I have not sat in a Bonafide so I can't really comment too much other than people that I know usually like them. They were developed by Luther Cifers who owns YakAttack (one of the most well known kayak accessory brands on the market). He eventually sold it the brand to be under the same umbrella as Native kayaks and Liquid Logic kayaks. Just my opinion, but I think the company was sold because of the huge capital investments that Luther needed to make to get everything going...and he doesn't cut any corners trying to perfect his products. That and the lack of a pedal drive option when pedal drives really started to drive the fishing market. That being said...Native used their pedal drive technology to make a pedal drive version of the Bonafide called the P127.

If you are into the Feelfree brands too...you may want to look at Vibe kayaks. To me they are the cheaper version of Feelfree.

Other brands to look at....Old Town, Native, Jackson and Hobie. They are on the more expensive side...but it will be better than Feelfree especially comparing pedal drives.

Also I agree with the above that you should get the 12 footer. It really isn't a huge difference and the kayak will track better and pedal easier.

8. Member
    I tried the FeelFree during demo days. Hardest paddling kayak that I have ever tried. I would skip that brand.

9. Member
    I have a Bonafide SS107, and it is perfect for me. I'd buy the Bonafide again in a heartbeat (I love it); however there are many good models out there, and you probably couldn't really go wrong with most of the well-known brands. If I didn't have the Bonafide, then I would be STRONGELY looking at Crescent Kayaks. I have buddies with them, and they are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywalls View Post
    I have a Bonafide SS107, and it is perfect for me. I'd buy the Bonafide again in a heartbeat (I love it); however there are many good models out there, and you probably couldn't really go wrong with most of the well-known brands. If I didn't have the Bonafide, then I would be STRONGELY looking at Crescent Kayaks. I have buddies with them, and they are fantastic.
    That's another solid suggestion...forgot about those guys.

After looking and demoing a few I chose to get the feel free lure 10V2. I pick it up next weekend. I can't wait for the temps to come down so I can start learning kayak fishing.

12. Member
    Nice! Good looking yak.

Congrats.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin R. View Post
    After looking and demoing a few I chose to get the feel free lure 10V2. I pick it up next weekend. I can't wait for the temps to come down so I can start learning kayak fishing.
    The whole "domo, demo, demo" advice is fine if you're looking to buy a new one and have the luxury of time. If you dawdle that long when a good used kayak is on the market, it will be sold to someone who is more decisive. You can save money by researching ahead of time and then looking out for the used brands you will like...then hope one comes up for sale. I usually pull the trigger pretty quickly based on my home research. Most top brand kayaks out there are good quality and most of the problems arise after the person has owned it for a while (drive and steering failures, for example). Good luck with your FeelFree. Hook up with a kayak bass fishing club and you're get some ideas on rigging and the tourney scene, if you think that will be fun.

20220827_143736.jpg
    20220827_163718.jpg
    20220828_122250.jpg
    Finally got to do a little playing with the new feelfree. First thing I did was go to the lake and just paddle around trying differnt angles and such, adjusting the seat, trying differnt ways to stand up and turn around and such. I also walked till I was floating with it and turn it over to see what would be the best way to flip it over and then remount. I then spent 2 hrs fishing which was tough since the wind was blowing pretty good. Looking forward to cooler days on the water!