Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grass lakes in Kentucky

Anybody know of any that mat up? Our club always plans a Chick/Gville/Nickajack tournament around October/November but unfortunately with gas so high they have voted to change it and it would be nice to still have that same style of fishing available on a lake closer. We’re from around the Lexington/Georgetown area but so far they’ve been fine going 2-3 hours without canceling because of gas. Looking for suggestions. Thanks!

2. Member
    I really don't know of any public water in Ky with Grass anymore.. but you should have a few in Tennessee a little closer to you? Old hickory lake in Nashville used to have quite a bit.. It's been a minute since I've been there but it was covered up last time I was there for a fall classic and there were plenty of mats. I'd still guess your pushing 3.5 hrs. to get there. Watts Bar is up river from the Chick, and maybe also a little closer than Nickajack? There's some Grass in it, but I'm not sure its significant there.

3. Member
    Lake Carnico is full of grass
    Bullet 20 XRD / 225 Merc Sport XS

Dale Hollow, Cave Run. Does it mat up, maybe, but definitely not like Guntersville or others.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Javman389 View Post
    Dale Hollow, Cave Run. Does it mat up, maybe, but definitely not like Guntersville or others.
    I certainly wouldn't plan any bass fishing tournament on Cave Run.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    You are correct sir!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TivisMinton View Post
    Lake Carnico is full of grass
    Fish there a few times a year. Not quite what I was looking for and not looking to put 12 boats on there to go along with potentially several others on at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Javman389 View Post
    Dale is on our schedule already and doesn't mat up.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    AGREED!!!!

8. Member
    Cedar creek has matted grass
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post
    Cedar creek has matted grass
    Unless you're B.A.S.S. or FLW/MLF you are not allowed to have a tournament on a lake and change the rules even going through the same processes as those organizations. Cedar Creek has a one fish 20" limit for bass. Our club tried to have a charity tournament for one of the fish and wildlife officers who was in need while having multiple officers volunteer to be there to verify that the fish were released after weigh in. We asked to have a reduced size limit and allow a 5 fish maximum and was denied. We even pitched it as a possible big bass style tournament with a reduced size limit so that people could weigh in every hour for big fish and was also denied. Evidently as long as you have a camera crew and trailer show up, you can go to Cumberland and change all the fish limits to 12" for your tournament. Like so many in a governmental capacity, if it weren't for double standards, they'd have none at all.

10. Member
    Old hickory has very little grass. Mats fewer. Fall is normally very tough.

11. Member
    Indian lake in ohio has a ton of grass this year
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

12. Member
    USA Bassin does tournaments on Cedar but use the 20” limit. Most teams blank out

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyKiller View Post
    Unless you're B.A.S.S. or FLW/MLF you are not allowed to have a tournament on a lake and change the rules even going through the same processes as those organizations. Cedar Creek has a one fish 20" limit for bass. Our club tried to have a charity tournament for one of the fish and wildlife officers who was in need while having multiple officers volunteer to be there to verify that the fish were released after weigh in. We asked to have a reduced size limit and allow a 5 fish maximum and was denied. We even pitched it as a possible big bass style tournament with a reduced size limit so that people could weigh in every hour for big fish and was also denied. Evidently as long as you have a camera crew and trailer show up, you can go to Cumberland and change all the fish limits to 12" for your tournament. Like so many in a governmental capacity, if it weren't for double standards, they'd have none at all.
    Then use the limit currently in place? I personally prefer going for 1 big bite. Plus that helps with mortality in the summer
    Murray State Alum

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post
    Then use the limit currently in place? I personally prefer going for 1 big bite. Plus that helps with mortality in the summer
    Our club doesn’t want to do a single fish tournament. Kinda missed the point of that post though. It’s that you can only have exceptions if you have tv coverage to make money but having a charity tournament to raise money for a fish and wildlife employee who lost their house in a fire or for any good reason for that matter, is not even considered. The whole double standards thing. Anyway we’re still undecided on a lake replacement to this point. Still welcoming suggestions preferably with some kind of grass/frog bite.

15. Member
    Our club doesn’t want to do a single fish tournament. Kinda missed the point of that post though. It’s that you can only have exceptions if you have tv coverage to make money but having a charity tournament to raise money for a fish and wildlife employee who lost their house in a fire or for any good reason for that matter, is not even considered. The whole double standards thing. Anyway we’re still undecided on a lake replacement to this point. Still welcoming suggestions preferably with some kind of grass/frog bite.
    I don’t necessarily agree with their decision on modifying limits either, but the economic impact to the community from a massive FLW tournament can’t be compared to a small club tournament. Also, you don’t need grass to get on a great frog bite
    Murray State Alum

16. Member
    Thanks for the suggestion. Not going to back and forth with the rest.

17. Member
    Thanks for the suggestion. Not going to back and forth with the rest.
    There’s a couple small lakes that have grass but they’re either idle only or electric only. I think beaver lake has grass.
    Murray State Alum

18. Member
    Where is Beaver?

19. Member
    Where is Beaver?
    Lawrenceburg. It’s usually a good number, small fish lake. Boltz lake in northern KY also has grass if you are looking at small lakes

20. Member
    I suspect that the only lakes with decent grass/mats are smaller idle only lakes like Beaver. If there was some Guntersville Jr in Kentucky that could hold tournaments, I think most people would know about it by now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast