First 100% grown on the farm meal of the year

Yesterday was the first meal that included everything raised or grown on the farm.

Sausage - our hogs and made with all ingredients from the farm.
    Lard - from our hogs
    Potatoes - first day, fresh picked
    Green Beans - first day, fresh picked
    Zucchini- fresh picked
    Breading for Zucchini from home made stale bread. (OK flour & yeast store bought)
    Cucumber and Onion salad. Home made vinegar but store bought olive oil.
    Green Peppers- fresh picked

Now starts the fun work of picking and packaging. The green beans and peas are ready at the same time.

The meals main course was fried potatoes with sausage, onions and green peppers. With a side of steamed green beans and fried breaded zucchini. Joined with a cucumber salad.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

Nothing better than that

3. Member
    After reading this I now realize why I miss having a garden. Sounds delicious.

Sounds larapin. Enjoy.
    One of my fondest memories of growing up is of the days I spent helping my grandparents in their garden. I always ate my veggies growing up.
    Never had pigs, but always had half dozen cows and plenty of chickens. My Dad always said, “don’t go giving any of them a name because you’ll be eating them at some point”.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Member
    Sounds good.

I was in France with some local co-workers. They were trying to do out-do each other selecting their meals. They asked me my favorite food. I told them my Mother’s green beans and cornbread. They had no response to my simple cuisine.

I do not know how you fry your potatoes. Try cubing the potatoes about 1/2” square and about 1/8-1/4” thick. Wash and then coat with cornmeal. Get grease hot and fry until golden.

6. Member
    Hum. I will try the cornmeal.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

7. Member
    We just call them Fried Taters. Our grown children ask for them on most visits.

We use any frying pan and enough grease to semi cover potatoes. Not really deep frying, but pan frying. Turn over a few times until both sides are golden. Make sure grease is hot, before adding 1st handfuls to pan.

This is also the only way I eat Okra. Cut Okra into 1/8”-1/4” thick slices. For some reasons, it is best to freeze this sliced Okra. Take from freezer and split apart, while still in the ziplock bag. Put in bowl and coat with cornmeal. Fry in pan, the same way as potatoes. No other breading needed. Just the cornmeal.