Banned

2003 Yamaha V-Max TLRB trims up very slow--

Last couple trips out it is very, very slow when trimming up and down. I have pumped out all old fluid and put in new and trimming down seems ok or somewhat better but trimming up it slows about half way up and makes a almost gurgling sound for 2-3 seconds, but eventually it makes it up. Do not see any leaks anywhere. I have done the drain and re-fill twice and it still slows to a crawl about 1/3 the way up. This is the original unit on the boat and never had any problems with it. Thanks in advance to any and all replies. This is a 250 V-Max. Michael

2. Member
    Probably need a new trim motor or get the one you have rebuilt. I think there is a place in Florida that rebuilds these, and another company that sells aftermarket trim pumps. Someone will chime in with the info. Might check to make sure you have good power to the trim motor as a first step. Also likely a relay for up and down. I have a 2003 V-Max. Waiting for my trim motor to inevitably go out.

3. Banned
    When you fill your lower unit, you getting someone to help you and have them get on the up button and stay on it while your squeezing all the T-N-T fluid you can get?

Then get the cap on. That may be how your doing it, just thought I would just say, it is really impossible to get the unit completely full without someone else on the up button while you take care of business on filling and getting the cap back on quickly.

You will want to keep squirting the fluid while the other person is keeping the trim unit going up and not stop, and still on after the unit has lifted as high as it goes, you keep filling and keep the trim unit running up, you must get as much fluid in the unit as possible and this is how we can. Once it doesn't seem to take anymore fluid, the whole time the trim unit is still running up, quickly get the cap on. Then and only then once the cap is on, you can stop trimming up.
    Don't worry about the trim unit running after it's reached the top limit and you keep running it, it has a by-pass circuit which protects it
    , and we get the trim unit filled completely.
    I am only saying this in hopes you just need more fluid in unit.

If you have air in the unit, it will make that noise you mentioned and will be real slow.

4. Banned
    I would like to thank the 2 members who responded to this post. The tilt&trim motor was the culprit and i have changed it out. and it. I ordered one along with a new tilt&trim relay when i read the post and luckily the motor came Tuesday and was able to switch it out and make our club tournament down at the Roanoke rive yesterday and won it while also having big fish. Would not have been possible without this help. Got the fluid filled properly also. Thanks again to Amistad Tackle and Jeb H for the replies.

5. Member
    Good to hear. Where did you end up getting the motor?

6. Banned
    Ordered it off eBay.

7. Member
    Glad to hear it got resolved. Had a similar issue with my old Johnson. New trim motor made it run perfectly.