Thread: Chequamegon Bay

Chequamegon Bay

I'm looking to take a fall smallmouth trip, sometime around late September to Mid-October time frame, and wanted your opinion on Chequamegon Bay during this time. My father, uncle, and myself take a yearly trip and have usually followed the success of the major trails, thus we've done places like Mille Lacs and Sturgeon Bay, however this time I was wanting something that has less noteriety (and maybe this place does, I have no idea). Does this place share the same quality and numbers that the other Great Lakes type places have to offer? Being a wide bay I can only assume a 10-15 mph wind would make fishing tough, but is there places to get out of it from most directions and still have fishable water? I appreciate any and all input.

2. Member
    I've only ever fished it in the spring, but have a family friend that would go every fall. He'd catch big fish, but said you also have to be willing to fish in big waves, as there's nowhere to hide.

3. Member
    For it's worth, I've seen a few tv shows filmed there and it looks great but very different from SB and ML. In the fall, they were fishing kastmaster spoons and flukes on pretty heavy jig heads. The water did look pretty rough though without a really heavy winds. There was one show where they had to go to an inland lake because it was too windy and they caught some good fish too.

I absolutely love it up there! I've landed them up to about 6.5 but it is way different than GB and Lacs and I've fished those as well. Personally I'd go to Chequamagon if you've never been there because if there is a blow day you have a bunch of options within a hour drive that are also amazing!