Thread: Inflatable PFDs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Inflatable PFDs

Thinking about upgrading my life jackets .... Would like to go the auto inflate route but have had several guys tell me they have had them auto inflate in their storage boxes causing big mess , breaking rod and having to get recharge kits .... Anyone else here ever had this problem ?

I quit using them after one went off inside storage locker. Another armed while I was wearing it in some extremely rough water where the waves were blowing over side of boat.

3. Member
    The Mustang vests with HIT technology will not go off if just wet. They work on water pressure. The Mustang Elite 38 is a nice inflatable vest.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    The Mustang vests with HIT technology will not go off if just wet. They work on water pressure. The Mustang Elite 38 is a nice inflatable vest.
    I'll second this. I had two of the "other" types of inflatables inflate on me unexpectedly. No problems with my Elite 38.

5. Member
    Mustang Elite HIT is the way to go. But, I still wear a traditional, roll-collar type vest when running. I wear the Mustang while fishing.

6. Member
    I wear one if I'm by myself and fishing but never on plane. Report after report of accidents where they didn't deploy. The latest one a month or so ago the accident in Louisiana .

7. Member
    Mustang Elite HIT for sure.

8. Member
    I use mustang 100 mph vests,don’t trust many
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

9. mikesxpress
    You may only need that PFD one time. No inflatable for me.

10. Member
    I have four of the Bass Pro inflatable PFDs. Two I've had for six years and have rearmed them once. The other two I just purchased. I store them in the boat and have worn them in the pouring down rain. Not once have I had them go off in storage or when wearing them when boating. I don't store them where there is the opportunity for moisture and make sure the bobbin is covered as designed when wearing them in the rain. Having rearmed them (which is recommended after a few years) I had two removed CO2 cartridges and bobbins, so a test was tried. Myself and one of our 10 year old grandsons tried them in the swimming pool. I jumped in the 5 foot end and by the time I hit bottom it had inflated. Pretty much the same experience with the grandson. When running long distance I do put on a normal vest as if an incident occurs at high speed, the vest could provide some impact safety. I do believe when storing and wearing some additional measures need implemented versus the procedures with a standard PFD. Anyway, just thought I'd pass along my experiences.

11. Member
    I use the onyx A/M 24. It is not bulky and easy to wear all day. I never see guys wearing the big bulky ones. I store it on the back of my drivers seat and put it on before I get into the boat. It does not come off until I exit the boat. Another advantage mentioned by another poster: I can slip my Ultrex link remote under the bottom strap and it does not bounce around. All my problems are solved. Happy 4th to all.

12. Member
    We have 2 onyx’s I think A/M 32 model they seemed to fit the best. They have been in rod lockers and in the truck for extended time and no problems

13. Member
    Based on my experience, the best one is the one you wear all the time. I have no doubt in my mind that the high quality Type 3's would be preferred if you hit the water, but not if you left it in the seat when you got up to fish.

I wear a BPS A/M 24 any time I'm in the boat. Never take it off. I have 2 - regular type 3's in the rod locker for guest use, but never wear them. Had a Mustang inflatable previously. The Mustang got left out side in a storm and inflated. Only time I've had one unexpectedly inflate.

I fell in the lake last winter. 43 degree water temp. Small lake. No one but me there. The 24 inflated. I worked my way back into the boat no issue. I'm in good shape and a good swimmer. Might have made it without the vest, but glad I had it on. Took it back to BPS to get a cartridge and they gave me a new vest, no questions answered.

Whatever you buy, wear it. If it isn't comfortable enough to wear all the time, then buy one that is.

I believe in Texas if all you have is an inflatable it has to be worn all the time.

15. Member
    Inflatables life jackets must me worn in Ohio also

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I believe in Texas if all you have is an inflatable it has to be worn all the time.
    Alot of places, they are considered a type 5 device, when worn they are type 3.

I had MP make me and my fishing partner wear ours all day due to this.

Sold the Mustang Elites and only keep 100's on board now.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

If your inflatable PFD says USCG-approved Type V with Type III performance, it must be worn to count in your boat's inventory. If it says type lll or type ll, it does not have to be worn. The AM 24 is the former and must be worn to count.

2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv/LVS34
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

18. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I still have 2 older SOSpenders 38's that I use and wear all the time once it goes on it don't come off till I sit in the truck...lol forget I have it on half the time they work great and I check them yearly for cartridge and bobbin and will probably start looking for a new one soon as they are starting to show some wear on the edges but other than that no problem at all and I store them in my compartments outside and my boat is under a cover no garage....
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

19. Member
    In PA, a inflatable only counts of you are wearing it. You can take it off if you have a regular one on the boat. I have 2 BPS AM24s and they have not inflated yet. Very comfortable, but I carry regular ones in case they do pop off .
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

This question has come up several times that I can recall. I wear the SOSpenders, my wife also, since they first came out. Many years ago, yeah I'm old as dirt now, we did a demonstration at a BPS Spring Classic with the SOSpenders vs regular PFDs. PFDs are fine as long as you are conscious but they will not keep your head face up if you are not. We demonstrated this on mannequins since a person cannot fake being unconscious in the water. You always want to tread water & keep your head up. Fortunately mannequins don't have that problem. The inflatables allow you to float face us, like the old Mae West ones ( why do you think they still make those - cause they work) and yes they are very cheap compared to others, but I don't see bass guys wearing those. Before the inflatable I wore the regular pfd with the roll up collar (boy was I cool then, lol) but that was all we had. Now we have a choice and the choice is yours. Wear what you like and what is comfortable to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast