Trailer tongue replacement ?

I have a 98 basscat trailer with an Atwood surge brake system. I need to have the tongue cut off and replaced was wondering what others have used as a replacement. I found some weld on units from titan but they do not have the backup lock out. I need the lock out to back boat into my garage. Is there an option out there somewhere. Just spent 700 bucks on the drums so trying to avoid switching to electric. If I can’t find a replacement may just jerk all the brake stuff out and weld it up.

2. Member
    I think these days the UFP A60 is widely used by most manufacturers

3. Member
    I looked at the A-60s I need a weld on drum brake unit and could not find one that had the back up lockout. The bolt on and disc brake models have the lockouts.

4. Member
    Why do you have to cut off the tongue?

5. Member
    {I looked at the A-60s I need a weld on drum brake unit and could not find one that had the back up lockout.}

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that drum brakes are free wheeling in reverse and that only the disc brakes need a backup lockout solenoid.

6. Member
    They definitely are engaging when backing up. The old Atwood system had a lever to pull to disengage. The reason for a new tongue is the old Atwood is no longer made and parts are not available so to get my brakes working I need to put a new one one. I will call the e-trailer folks next few days and see what they can come up with. I may need to install the drums to a free back up model. Just didn’t want to can the new drums I just had installed.

7. Member
    The master cylinder pushes the shoes against the drums when backing too. To BASSATTACK, you can use a mechanical lockout if you can't find what you need.

I'm following this myself. I have 1992 bass cat trailer with the same Atwood actuator. I would like to replace mine too.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASSATTACK83 View Post
    I looked at the A-60s I need a weld on drum brake unit and could not find one that had the back up lockout. The bolt on and disc brake models have the lockouts.
    You can use the A-60 and add the electric lockout solenoid to the back of the master just as the disc system uses. This requires a 5 wire plug which taps into your backup lights on your tow vehicle again, like the disc system uses. There is also a mechanical lockout key available but sold separately for cheap. There are some videos on e-trailer and youtube explaining how to do this.

10. Member
    I think I will go with the A60 and add the electric backup lockout and also get the mechanical as a backup.

11. Member
    May give basscat a call. Allen or Richard will give good advice!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

12. Member
    I've got a brand new UFP X84 complete swing tongue assembly I'll take $400 shipped for.