Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blown Powerhead Options

So I got the unfortunate news that I'm likely on the hook for a new powerhead for my Yamaha (F175). I'll make another post in the future about the details. Anyways, I was told the powerhead runs 7k and that is without labor which will be intensive. I don't really want to spend the money to repair an engine on a boat that doesn't really fit my needs and I would like to move on from. Will dealers take a motor with a blown powerhead in as a trade? Would it be better financially to get the repair and then trade it in? When I was boat shopping I always considered a boat with a new powerhead as a negative. Is that the general consensus? The guys at the marine shop said it would be like a new motor. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

2. Member
    As long as they identify and correct the issue that caused the power head failure you will be good to go. Too many dealers just slap a new powerhead on without fixing the root cause. I wouldn't think many dealers would be willing to give you much for a boat without a working motor.

3. Member
    Parts can be tough now, plus overpriced ... along with labor.
    I'd actually encourage a new outboard, better in my opinion.
    And consider keeping it, until new boat inventory stabilizes.

I have good luck with rebuild motors. NEED TO FIND OUT WHY YOUR MOTOR WAS BLOWN, so you don't repeat the problem. Places like Outboard Motor Recyclers have rebuilt power heads that I have used in the past with great success.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

5. Banned
    I rebuilt the first time with good luck got I think 10 more years but the second issue repowered do to year of old motor and availability of parts. It was a 1993. Now I have a 4 stroke.

6. Member
    Time to go new … 5-7 yr warranty … then again it may take 12-14 months to get a new one.

7. Member
    If you are not happy with your boat get something you will b happy with.

If you do the rebuild they should remove and clean the oil sump , put a new oil pickup in and new oil pump. this is how we do it. Also we take blown motors in trade quite often. I would suggest you not rebuild and then trade it. That's money lost.
    Proud Army Dad

9. Member
    Trade it off as-is and get something which fits and a new motor. I lived 7 seasons with a boat that 'didn't fit' and will not do it again.

10. Member
    F175

This is a 4 stroke, correct?

Rarely hear 4 strokes needing a powerhead.

Would love to hear what happened and the maintenance history.

Maybe give Hydrotec a call for numbers comparison.

https://www.hydrotecmarine.com/yamaha-rebuild-program/

Sorry for the loss.

Good luck

I’ve had to go through it twice. Thankfully I didn’t pay. One was under warranty and another was due to a faulty oil pump and brp paid for a new powerhead.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    As long as they identify and correct the issue that caused the power head failure you will be good to go. Too many dealers just slap a new powerhead on without fixing the root cause. I wouldn't think many dealers would be willing to give you much for a boat without a working motor.
    The part about the root cause cannot be emphasized enough. Without that being corrected the replacement powder head will blow also.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

The problem was my starter went, damaged the flywheel and somehow it damaged the block making it irreparable. The technicians said they had never seen it before and that it was a one-in-million malfunction. They said they would not be fearful of it happening it again. The day it happened I had run all over the place without issue. Never had any indication that something was wrong. Yamaha said it could have been from a low-charged battery. That was not the cause.

My biggest question-financially, would I get more for the trade-in minus the cost of the rebuild versus just trading it in as-is? The shop has already said they would take a trade-in with a blown powerhead but we did not talk numbers. Just wondering if anyone has ever encountered this. Overall, I just have such a sick feeling about all this that I want to move on from the boat.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5

14. Member
    I find it hard to believe that scenario would've taken out your powerhead or engine block. Maybe get a 2nd opinion.

Starter bendix may have stayed engaged then damaged flywheel and ripped starter off the block
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Starter bendix may have stayed engaged then damaged flywheel and ripped starter off the block
    I didn't think about that, you would think the bolts would shear before doing excessive block damage. Junk, is there an actual hole in the block?!?

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    This is what happened. The technician said the base where the starter is installed is damaged to the point where it cannot be repaired and needs to be replaced. When the starter went, it made a horrific noise of grinding metal.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5

We used to have it happen on modified CAmaros and corvettes all the time (from kickback). Being aluminum you could sometimes weld the mount back on. Sucks!!!
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

19. Member
    I would move on from that and get a new/newer boat. It sounds like you want something different anyway. Don't spend money to fix it because you won't recoup the cost of that anyway.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

Since several of you asked, I figured I'd give you an update. There was no way to repair the existing damaged starter mount on the engine block. The technicians do not know if the starter went out catching the flywheel and then damaging the mount or if the block mount itself was weakened causing the failure. After initially denying the claim, Yamaha did provide the powerhead that my engine needed. Spoke to a couple people at Yamaha and after pleading my case they reconsidered and approved supplying the powerhead. Because the motor was only 3 weeks out of warranty, had only 190 hours, and experienced a freak one-in-a-million malfunction, I do think this was a fair resolution. I dropped the boat off this morning and the marine shop said the powerhead and accompanying parts was over 8K in cost. I'll be on the hook for the labor which they estimated at 13 hours. They hope to have it finished by next week. I am going to give the Lake Michigan smallies a helluva beatdown when I get my boat back!!
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast