999 e40pl4ees running in safe mode

Changed impeller in above motor. All back together, pisses water like crazy, no alarms. But it is stuck running in tha suppressed RPM mode @3000 rpm. I thought maybe I have linkage adjusted wrong or something?

Any help appreciated,
    Jeff
    Jeff Edgarton
    2001 929 CDX

2. Member
    I assume we are talking about a Suzuki 4 stroke outboard here?

If so, there is a neutral throttle switch on the gear linkages on the starboard side of the engine.

This switch detects when the engine is put in gear and sends a signal to the ecu.

If its broken/failed/loose or for any other other reason it doesnt send the signal to the ecu that tells it that the engine is now in gear, the ecu will limit rpm to 3000rpm. It does that by limiting spark, advance and fuel supply, so that at the 3000rpm limit, the engine will run real bad, it will surge, misfire, and carry on like a race car engine does when its on the pit lane speed limiter.

This feature is designed to prevent people from damaging the engine by foolishly revving it excessively in neutral without any load. There is no good reason to do that either.

3. Member
    Thank you Moonlighter, that sounds exactly what it could be. I will take a look at that this weekend.
    Jeff Edgarton
    2001 929 CDX

4. Member
    Yes test it on the water with the engine in gear is the safest way.

If the switch has failed its a fairly easy replacement and not expensive.

You can go to this link and select your engine year and hp and you will find the parts diagrams that show where it fits.
    https://www.boats.net/catalog/suzuki/outboard