Trailer security

When I got my rig 16 years ago I studied these boards for many things, one of which was trailer security. I came to the conclusion that you won't stop a professional thief, but how many of those are roaming the boat launches looking for trailer? I decided to put locks on the receiver and hitch to stop the opportunists and haven't had a problem.

That is until yesterday. While I was on the water someone tried to steal my trailer. This wasn't a pro or it would have been gone unless they had gotten the other trailer they messed with first. I was at a well used ramp but launched at first light when nobody else was around. The other boat had launched just after dawn. On both trailers the locks worked, but on mine they tried to disassemble the swing away tongue. They were able to remove the hitch pin but didn't have the correct wrench for the big bolt. Luckily I had a spare bolt and was able to get home.

Now I am rethinking this whole subject. Locks on the wheels, lock on the hitch pin, lock on the Drotto? I wasn't overly worried before since my truck has an alarm system that will go off if the trailer is unplugged when the truck is locked but that won't stop them from getting the peripherals.

How far do you go to protect yourself from thieves? I had some very scary thoughts about the hassle of getting back to the ramp and not having a trailer (or it being unusable.)
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    When I feel the need to lock mine up I use a heavy duty chain and padlock and run it through tie rim and frame. I know it can be cut with a grinder but even the best bolt cutters would struggle

3. Member
    If in a bad area try and back trailer up against the curb .

on mine they tried to disassemble the swing away tongue. They were able to remove the hitch pin but didn't have the correct wrench for the big bolt.
    I know some thieves aren't the sharpest pencil in the box----just trying to figure how in the world, if someone was trying to steal a 16 year old trailer. Why in creation would they remove the tongue ?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I know some thieves aren't the sharpest pencil in the box----just trying to figure how in the world, if someone was trying to steal a 16 year old trailer. Why in creation would they remove the tongue ?
    I thought of that too. If it was just the hitch pin missing I would say it was someone just trying to cause trouble. That they tried to steal the other trailer makes me think different although it is a possibility.

As for it being a 16 year old trailer they wouldn't have known that. It is in pretty good shape.. If they got the swing away tongue off they could have towed it away with chains.

Edit: After thinking about this some more maybe it was just someone trying to cause trouble. On my rig they would have needed to have the jack stand down to get the tongue off and it wasn't. On the other trailer maybe the intent was to cause damage to the jack stand if it wasn't noticed and driven with it down.

In any event, do you have locks on your wheel lugs to keep them from being stolen?
    Last edited by zelmo; 07-01-2022 at 09:29 AM.

Almost sounds like someone with an extremely sick sense of humor. Or an ax to grind just because someone had a boat.

7. Member
    Or just an A hole

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post

In any event, do you have locks on your wheel lugs to keep them from being stolen?
    TBH, I don't even sweat it up here. I feel (just barely) secure enough to leave my rods and electronics on deck and run into the grocery store for 20 minutes. Hope I don't get learnt better!

Guess I've been lucky.
    40 years of boating without locks on anything and haven't got busted yet.
    And I spend a lot of time at Amistad next to the border.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Or just an A hole
    Ding ding ding probably just some grown juvenile bastard lol
    22 Triton TRX20 22 Pro XS 250
    16 Triton 1760sc 16 Merc 75hp

11. Member

I have put wheel locks on my boat trailer and spare tire,made by Advanced Wheel Locks. The design and shape of them are very impressive,made of super hard alloy steel. Their website has a couple of videos trying to get the lock off using a Gator Grip socket,and also another lock removing tool kit sold at auto parts stores. Both fail miserably. The only thing that could work,they say,is a pipe wrench,but when installed on the lugs,it would be impossible for it to get a bite. Check them out.

I have 2 wheels locks on each wheel. Different type key. And 3 locks on the spare. Lock on the trailer tongue. Lock on the receiver on the truck and lock on the breakaway tongue. All of these can be defeated if given the right amount of time. As kid I worked in a tire shop and people would always lose their key for the wheel locks. We’d get them off without to much trouble but you just hope it’s more time then they want to spend on it. The lock sets came in a sets of 4 so I had 3 left over after doing the wheels and the spare so bought another set and now have 1 left over. Lol

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ223 View Post
    I have 2 wheels locks on each wheel. Different type key. And 3 locks on the spare. Lock on the trailer tongue. Lock on the receiver on the truck and lock on the breakaway tongue. All of these can be defeated if given the right amount of time. As kid I worked in a tire shop and people would always lose their key for the wheel locks. We’d get them off without to much trouble but you just hope it’s more time then they want to spend on it. The lock sets came in a sets of 4 so I had 3 left over after doing the wheels and the spare so bought another set and now have 1 left over. Lol
    Is the reason for so many locks on each wheel to extend the time it takes to get them off?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby Moser View Post

I have put wheel locks on my boat trailer and spare tire,made by Advanced Wheel Locks. The design and shape of them are very impressive,made of super hard alloy steel. Their website has a couple of videos trying to get the lock off using a Gator Grip socket,and also another lock removing tool kit sold at auto parts stores. Both fail miserably. The only thing that could work,they say,is a pipe wrench,but when installed on the lugs,it would be impossible for it to get a bite. Check them out.
    Those do look good. The website wants you to put your vehicle in to find what to buy. How did you figure out what to get for your trailer?

15. Member
    I called Ranger Boats and asked someone in parts,they transferred me to another dept. and that person told me the lug was 1/2-20,I called my dealer and they confirmed the same(as my boat was being ordered at the time and I couldn't check myself)you can always take a lug nut off and go to a trailer shop and have them see what size it is,then place your order.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby Moser View Post
    I called Ranger Boats and asked someone in parts,they transferred me to another dept. and that person told me the lug was 1/2-20,I called my dealer and they confirmed the same(as my boat was being ordered at the time and I couldn't check myself)you can always take a lug nut off and go to a trailer shop and have them see what size it is,then place your order.
    I know that is the correct thread, but on their website you need to know a vehicle with that size to order. Did you just keep entering different cars until you got that to come up?

Edit: I found the 2014 Jeep Wrangler has that thread.
    Last edited by zelmo; 07-02-2022 at 06:38 AM.

17. Member
    I believe I had to call to place my order just to make sure,as they didn't have a reference guide for a boat trailer. My invoice shows a wheel lock set 1/2"-20,38mm Tall,cone seat. And I put customer notes that this was going on a 2021 Ranger boat trailer.