Best ever Internet for the Country

The only internet service I could get that was affordable was Verizon DSL. 22 years of slow and spotty internet service that I paid $100 a month. Watching Netflix was so much fun at speeds between 1 and 2 Mbps.

I woke up a few months ago. A entire whole new world opened up. Welcome to AT&T, Mobile Hot Spot. Unlimited data and no slow down. Now we have our three phones with unlimited data and added the Netgear Nighthawk 5g. This runs all the entire house, 5 TV's, computers, tablets, rind doorbell, washer, dryer, lighting and a few other things. Plus IT'S mobile. Though I can use my phones to connect when in the fields.

Speeds, well I will let my screen shot from the porch speed for its self.

Bonus it works 100% of the time, rain, snow and whatever.

20220630_211826.jpg
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Sounds wonderful, but I can rarely even get a cell signal out here in the country. I googled AT&T hot spot. If I am reading correctly, you need cell signal?

Right now, I have to live with satellite tv and internet. (Two separate dishes)

3. Member
    Yes, it does work through the cell service. In my case we don't have cable. DSL service is the only option other than Satellite or dial up. So you will have to be able to pick up an AT&T cell signal.

In my case it has been game changer. I live in a very rural area. There are only 73,000 people in the county.

I forget there are some parts of the United States that doesn't have great or any cell service.

In any event if you can yet a AT&T signal give it a look.

4. Member
    I assume that's bundled with your cell service? About how much?

5. Member
    Three phones and the Netgear, $236 a month. Prior we were paying $100 for Verizon DSL (including land phone) and $168 for three phones. We didn't have unlimited hotspot ability with the phones.

Here is a tip. You want the commercial contract. It's cheaper with unlimited data and hotspot, no slowdown. You really don't need the netgear but without it you have to reconnect everything to your phone if you leave and come back home.

6. Member
    No I did not have to show any proof I actually had a business.

7. Member
    20220630_232627.jpg

This is what the Netgear looks like. We had a low data month for June. This is separate data from our phones.

8. Member
    I get around 500 mps using fiber optics. No lie, $51 a month unlimited data

9. Member
    We have a warehouse, out in the middle of nowhere, in a very rural part of western Illinois. It had fiber optic internet running by it, so we subscribed. For less than $100/ month, we get consistently at least 50mps, but usually over 80mps.

Our house, also in a rural area, but much more populated. We finally we able to get Starlink. Before that we spent crazy money, for the slowest, most intermittent service possible. THANKS STARLINK!

10. Member
    If you have cell service, your not country

11. Member
    Fiber isn't even an option. Starlink is not available in our area. It is projected for 2024.

12. Member
    "Very rural" Only 73,000 in your county? Ok.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JTN View Post
    "Very rural" Only 73,000 in your county? Ok.
    I had to look up our county population, because I had no idea. 10,500 here in po dunk Crawford county Indiana. Cell signal sucks too. Lol

14. Member
    starlink best ever for my area phone service is spotty and I had to put a antenna up on chimney to help the best cell in area reception at my house also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    The only internet service I could get that was affordable was Verizon DSL. 22 years of slow and spotty internet service that I paid $100 a month. Watching Netflix was so much fun at speeds between 1 and 2 Mbps.

I woke up a few months ago. A entire whole new world opened up. Welcome to AT&T, Mobile Hot Spot. Unlimited data and no slow down. Now we have our three phones with unlimited data and added the Netgear Nighthawk 5g. This runs all the entire house, 5 TV's, computers, tablets, rind doorbell, washer, dryer, lighting and a few other things. Plus IT'S mobile. Though I can use my phones to connect when in the fields.

Speeds, well I will let my screen shot from the porch speed for its self.

Bonus it works 100% of the time, rain, snow and whatever.

20220630_211826.jpg
    If you aren't getting throttled after using a certain amount of data even with unlimited you're the only person I know of who isn't

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    20220630_232627.jpg

This is what the Netgear looks like. We had a low data month for June. This is separate data from our phones.
    How did you get this? I can't seem to find the 4g lte home internet on att website.

17. Member
    We have never experienced a slow down. Mind you we are from Verizon DSL with blazing speeds between 1 and 2. So if we go from 100 to even 10 we would never notice.

I got mine at an official AT&T store. At the time I could only get it if I was a commercial customer. Really the benefit was unlimited data / mobile hot spot and compared to my Verson cell phone and DSL service cheaper.

We love it, the internet just Flys. No more waiting for Netflix or other media to stall and load. Like I said we are now very heavy dependent on the internet at our house. Prior would could not run things like our ring doorbell, appliances would not connect and TV streaming just wouldn't work.

18. Member
    The ATT "unlimited" business plan that i have will throttle you down to 128kbps after 100gb in a month which i useless for most anything. Those are pretty standard terms of service with any cell company. Unfortunately "unlimited" is never really unlimited.

I don't believe they offer the unlimited hoptspot on new lines anymore either. Those want away in the not too distant past.