Champion 188 models

A guy near me has a 188 which I really like. Are there different models of the 188? I’m not very familiar with champion boats and maybe the different trim levels? I see 188 elite and 188 cx and then some just say 188. What’s the difference in the different models? His is a 2003. Maybe I can convince him to sell it to me.

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    The difference between the Elite and CX models is simply that the Elites have standard features which are options on the CX models. Upgraded electronics or livewell pump-out are examples. Hulls are identical between the two. If someone refers to simply 188, it is not a separate model...they just are not differentiating between Elite and CX.

Good luck on getting the guy to sell!! The 188 is a great model!

3. Member
    Thanks very much Lea! Can one tell any useful information from a Hull ID#?

4. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A6113mech View Post
    Thanks very much Lea! Can one tell any useful information from a Hull ID#?

No…only when and where (factory) built, as well as model year. Nothing about model itself, etc.

5. Member
    I’ve tried finding it but I can’t seem to find the deck length of the 188. 64” at seat pole and 75” at consoles for deck width. Anyone know the length of the front deck? Trying to determine what length rods can be strapped more or less. I guess some of you are putting the rod tips of longer rods beside the console? Probably what I would try if I buy this rig

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Even if it was listed in the brochures, which it is not, the centerline length would not really help, as you couldn’t put your rods dead center anyway. I do rest rod tips alongside console, as you mentioned.