2022 518 getting squirrly!

Now that I have 100% throttle and can get moving good,I have found this boat to act entirely different than all the others I have owned.for starters, when running on pad and get put of it quickly,it pulls hard to the left..also it seems very sensitive to over trim.it starts walking bad at about 65 8f I go full trim..anybody have any thoughts?.im running a fury 22 with a 8 inch plate ans lithiums,all but starting

NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST!!!!!!

2. Banned
    Sounds perfectly normal.

3. Member
    That's exactly how mine reacts, Rangers were not built to be the fastest on the water.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

4. Member
    what is ptp? raise engine 1/4 inch and see what happens? another 1/4 if water pressure still good

trim down before dumping throttle or you might nose hook also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    what is ptp? raise engine 1/4 inch and see what happens? another 1/4 if water pressure still good
    Ignore this!

Your boat is starting to chinewalk because it is performing well. You need to learn how to drive a boat at speed, how it feels, how to operate it safely, etc...

After you get that part down, then you can worry about dialing in your setup to get that last little bit of performance.

Any boat will hook if you chop the throttle with the engine trimmed up at speed.
    DON'T do that, it is not safe.

As I stated before, all of this is perfectly normal. You just need a little seat time.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchdiggerjcfII View Post
    Ignore this!

Your boat is starting to chinewalk because it is performing well. You need to learn how to drive a boat at speed, how it feels, how to operate it safely, etc...

After you get that part down, then you can worry about dialing in your setup to get that last little bit of performance.

Any boat will hook if you chop the throttle with the engine trimmed up at speed.
    DON'T do that, it is not safe.

As I stated before, all of this is perfectly normal. You just need a little seat time.
    i mean,i had a 75 mph triton that did none of the above.i know how to drive thru chine walk,im just wondering if it a setup issue ?chine walk at 65 is not a common deal.im thinking a weight distribution issue or maybe ptp.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by botrdav View Post
    That's exactly how mine reacts, Rangers were not built to be the fastest on the water.
    are you running a plate?if so,what is your ptp and prop?

8. Member
    I’m running a hydraulic plate on mine. On calm water it doesn’t walk anytime else it could be a lot. Usually 65 to 70. I guess plate helps. But not a lot. 200 opti 25 tempest

9. Banned
    All my rangers would start to walk when they lifted the second time.