1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike HELP NEEDED

Hi everyone, new to BBC and this is my first post. I recently bought a 1991 Javelin with a Johnson Fast Strike 150. After getting home a realized that the prop won't spin at all in neutral and when trying to start the boat the starter engages the flywheel but will not turn over. At first I thought the motor was seized but now thinking it's stuck in gear. There's some damage to the lower unit housing(2inx.5in) chunk of metal broken off the housing above the prop shaft. previous owner tried to caulk the opening lol. Does this sound like the lower unit is toast and that's causing it to not disengage out of gear? any help would be most appreciated!

The boat was purchased from a friend of friend who claimed it just needed a starter. Boat had sat for over a year and claimed it was running fine before storing in his barn. Lesson learned.

Drop the gearcase and try to spin it over.

3. Member
    You purchased a boat without at least running the motor on muffs?

4. Member
    SOunds like the lower unit is toast. Take it off and see if the starter works.

5. Member
    He wasn't a friend. Sounds like the lower unit is shot. Take it to a reputable marine mechanic to be checked out.

Since you are in Knoxville I suggest Bunch Marine.

6. Member
    Lower unit is out..Break out another thousand...

7. Member
    Thank you all for the help! I'll drop the gearcase this weekend and see what happens.

I know it sounds crazy to not start the boat before you buy but I drove 4 hours to BFE Indiana to pick it up while under the impression the starter or solenoid was out. Also, should've expected all 3 batteries were trash as well. Being an acquaintance to this guy I didn't believe he would screw me
    Last edited by acmiller7; 06-30-2022 at 12:06 PM.

8. Member
    Another thing to check when you drop the lower unit is the gear shift shaft. If the motor was in neutral when the lower unit was last dropped and the shift shaft was turned, it’s possible the gear shifter is in neutral but the lower unit is actually in “forward” or “reverse”. This will also cause the same issue you are experiencing. When you drop the lower unit and spin the prop, the DRIVE shaft will rotate if it was reassembled with it in gear. That’s an easy fix. Just turn the gear shift shaft back to neutral and reassemble.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by acmiller7 View Post
    Thank you all for the help! I'll drop the gearcase this weekend and see what happens.

I know it sounds crazy to not start the boat before you buy but I drove 4 hours to BFE Indiana to pick it up while under the impression the starter or solenoid was out. Also, should've expected all 3 batteries were trash as well. Being an acquaintance to this guy I didn't believe he would screw me
    What others have said about the Shift rod / lever. If you are not sure what to do, find or hire someone that does know. Pay me NOW or Pay me LATER.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

10. Member
    I really appreciate everyone's help with this issue. You all were right, it's dead. Took off the Gearcase this evening and it didn't have one drop of gear oil in it. I did hit the the starter and it turned over which is huge. Again, greatly appreciate your help and grateful for the people on here!

11. Banned
    I have a brand new pull off gearcase that fits that motor of yours, it's listed in the motor parts section here.

This one is the factory white, but can be sanded a little and repainted to match if a must.
    This lower unit I have might seem expensive but it's not a rebuilt one, it's off a new V6 I changed out to a jet drive. I have 2 of these lower units from the same friends boats I changed over for him. The other is for the 25-30 hp 2 cylinder motors, but both are factory white paint, not the white primer, and both of these lower units are new, not rebuilt.

Something you might think about. Darn shame your deal with these guys went down like this. It would not be something I would soon forget with these two guys.