Thread: Brisket help!

Brisket help!

How long would you allow per pound for a whole brisket? Using a pit with hickory hoping to keep temp 225-250. I'm wanting to rest it for a couple of hours also. It's been a couple of years since I cooked a brisket and it was on a pellet grill. Thanks

You're going to get a lot of answers here but the real answer is there isn't one. Brisket holds real good so whatever time your wanting to eat just shoot for a time to take it off the pit and put it in a cooler three hours before that. Some cook them for 18-20 hours. Mine cook about 8 hours. I put mine on and cook it for five hours without opening the door. You may need to rotate it on your cooker. After five hours I check it for the bark color I want. If the bark looks good I place a cooling rack in the bottom of a pan. Place the brisket on the rack and cover the pan. Return to the pit then check every 45 minutes until it gets tender. Once it gets tender I place the pan in a cooler for a couple of hours
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

3. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    I cook mine by temperature, not time. If it's a whole one I'd plan for at least 12 hours.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Just a WAG is @ 1 hr/lb. I do 9-10 lb briskets normally and try to get them done about 2 hours before I want to eat.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 06-30-2022 at 08:02 AM.

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies. It has to be done by 11:00 am Sunday I'm trying to figure out a start time. Hey rb what temp are you cooking at?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Just a WAG is @ 1 hr/lb. I do 9-10 lb briskets normally and try to get them done about 2 hours before I want to eat.
    I'm going to figure around 1hr per lb and give myself a couple of extra hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwing1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. It has to be done by 11:00 am Sunday I'm trying to figure out a start time. Hey rb what temp are you cooking at?
    275. This is why I have a Stump's smoker.I run a Flame Boss controller on it. It is WIFI. I can set it where it will ding my phone if the temps vary 5 degrees. If I was cooking this cook I would put the meat on at midnight @225. Wrap it at 7 and raise the temp up to 275 until it was ready for the cooler
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    275. This is why I have a Stump's smoker.I run a Flame Boss controller on it. It is WIFI. I can set it where it will ding my phone if the temps vary 5 degrees. If I was cooking this cook I would put the meat on at midnight @225. Wrap it at 7 and raise the temp up to 275 until it was ready for the cooler
    Thanks

9. Member
    A "whole brisket" can be 8 lbs or it can be 25 lbs, could be a big difference in how long it takes to cook. Do you know the approximate weight?

10. Member
    14.2 lbs untrimmed.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwing1 View Post
    14.2 lbs untrimmed.
    I tend to figure about 1 hour per lb but I smoke at 275. That being said, I did one a few weeks ago about that size and put it on at about 1am, wrapped in butcher paper at about 7:30 (IT was about 175) and took it off at 11 (IT at 203) and wrapped in towels, placed in cooler til dinner. So it cooked alot faster than 1 hr per lb. I will say that my dome temp (Big Green Egg) was at 300 and the FlameBoss 500 said 275 so maybe it was closer to 300.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS456 View Post
    I tend to figure about 1 hour per lb but I smoke at 275. That being said, I did one a few weeks ago about that size and put it on at about 1am, wrapped in butcher paper at about 7:30 (IT was about 175) and took it off at 11 (IT at 203) and wrapped in towels, placed in cooler til dinner. So it cooked alot faster than 1 hr per lb. I will say that my dome temp (Big Green Egg) was at 300 and the FlameBoss 500 said 275 so maybe it was closer to 300.
    Thanks. We're going to start around 7 pm Saturday try to keep temp around 225 if we need to we can up the heat Sunday morning. Cooking a brisket, 2 Boston butts, 2 racks of spare ribs, 4 baby back ribs, 4 chicken halves and a roll of bologna.

13. Member
    Took 8 hours to cook the brisket, our cooking temp ended up in 250 to 275 range. Double wrapped in paper at 165 and pulled around 203 I could tell by the feel of the temp probe it was done. Thanks for the help

14. Member
    Sounds awesome!!