Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer Steps for side of trailer (not bow)

Looking at maybe adding a trailer step to the side of the trailer, like the newer models are starting to come with. TW sells the EZ Troll version, but it's plastic, and costs twice as much as say the HitchMate step, which is made of gusseted steel (although smaller). Any experiences with these or other options? Essentially just wanted to add a step in the middle of the trailer to help with access to front deck, rod lockers, etc.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/EZ-T...age-EZTSS.html

https://www.amazon.com/Heininger-Hit.../dp/B002SE1E2E

2. Member
    1989 Coleman Crawdad
    55 lb Minn Kota Endura Max

3. Member
    "Dedicated to Dad. He always had time to take me fishing." Jerry McKinnis

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Unless you are at the bow, the step may be too far under the boat to be useful. I have the Northern Tool version of it, and it’s helpful.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    I have the flex step on my boat, I love it, $110 at tw, same price at bps on price matching ,

Quote Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
    I have the flex step on my boat, I love it, $110 at tw, same price at bps on price matching ,
    I looked at this one, but really prefer one I can just leave on the trailer, ie not have to remove when towing, etc. That's why I was looking at the simpler/smaller steps. CatFan has a good point also about making sure it extends far enough, which the smaller ones may not do well. I'm picking the boat up from shop on Friday so will take some measurements. Honestly the main thing I want to be able to do is reach the lock on my loc-r-bar :). Currently can't reach it unless I get up in the boat or put a step stool next to the boat. Easier locker access also a plus, but the lock is the main thing.

7. Member
    I have two EZ Troll steps and have used them for years. Very sturdy, durable, and simple to install.!

8. Member
    I had an EZ Troll step on a previous boat. It was sturdy and I never had any issues with it. I could stand on it with both feet so that was nice. I have ones like the HitchMate on my current boat. I have 2 of those on each side since the step is very narrow. It may look a little silly having 2 on each side but I don’t care. I got tired of balancing both feet on 1 step. I wish they stuck out a little more. They are tucked under the boat a little bit and it still takes a little effort to reach the center compartment and I’m 6’ tall.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

9. Banned
    I load and unload boat solo. I have the ez troll step and absolutely love it. It fits on trailer frame securely. I have never had to retighten.

Ok looks like I need either the EZ Troll or the FlexStep Pro... Leaning towards the EZ Troll as I mentioned I want one I don't have to take off when trailering. Just going to confirm my trailer rail width tomorrow before ordering anything...

11. Member
    You said you wanted something you didn't have to take off when trailering, I always leave mine flex step on when traveling, it's always seems stable. Is there something I should know. Have people had them come off,

Quote Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
    You said you wanted something you didn't have to take off when trailering, I always leave mine flex step on when traveling, it's always seems stable. Is there something I should know. Have people had them come off,
    Megaware states it should be removed when trailering. Might just be lawyer-speak for liability purposes I suppose.

I grabbed the EZ Troll, should be here tomorrow. If I don't like it (and my trailer cross braces might limit install options) I'll order the Megaware instead. Good to know you can trailer with it with no apparent issues though.

13. Member
    I have looked at those options, but on my Phoenix boat trailer, I don't think the 5 inch step would stick out enough to do any good.

The concern I have with the Flexstep, is that it looks like it puts a strain on the trailer when used. Check out some videos on it. Maybe its nothing but it looks like it would not be good over the long term. I have never seen one in person or know anyone that has used them long term.

Imagine what your shins will look like after a few years of ownership.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

EZTroll will be the ticket
    2006 Triton TR186, 175 Optimax,

Quote Originally Posted by Bjxds View Post
    I have looked at those options, but on my Phoenix boat trailer, I don't think the 5 inch step would stick out enough to do any good.

The concern I have with the Flexstep, is that it looks like it puts a strain on the trailer when used. Check out some videos on it. Maybe its nothing but it looks like it would not be good over the long term. I have never seen one in person or know anyone that has used them long term.
    I've noticed that as well - there is one YT video in particular, an installation/review vid on a BassCat trailer, and the Trailer rail flexes a lot when the guy steps on on the step.

EZ-Troll arrived today, haven't mounted it yet but will this weekend. But looks like it will work fine. I may even buy another one for the other side :).

Update, sending the EZ-Troll back. Due to it's somewhat "universal fit" design, it actually tilts down and away from the boat when mounted, due to the gap if the trailer frame doesn't completely fill the slot. It does have adjustment screws for this, but they don't really help much. So, that plus it flexing even more down and away when stepped on (and I am "only" 235lbs or so - well under the 300lb limit) I'm not real comfortable/happy with it. I tried mounting several times, with varying pressure on the adjustment screws, but could not get the lean out of it. :(.

18. Member
    78, find a good welder and build your own.....you'll get what you want and probably cheaper. My steel ones were FAR cheaper than the commercially available steps....and better.

19. Member
    I have one like new that I don't need anymore.

20. Member
    Consider looking at VE-VE Incorporated.COM......several options/sizes are available....I just ordered the T-978 Model for install on a tin trailer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast