CHAMPLAIN/ST LAWRENCE HELP

Could use a little help from you northern guys for this weekend. I’m currently booked up in Clayton for this weekend Friday through Monday to fish the river. This will be my first time there. After looking at weather I also booked the Champ as well, I could fish Ti or Plattsburgh, I have fished Champlain a 100 times. I would appreciate some advice or opinions on which way to go, I’m worried I’m gonna get blown out on the river but I don’t know what to expect, I’m pretty bummed out I have been planning this for 7 months. Thanks in advance

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Would all depend on wind direction as far as what end of champlain.. If you think your going to get blown off the river what makes you think champlain you won't. While the river can get nasty yes. Champlain. Is a brutal bitch w wind eats boats and boat parts for breakfast. I would stay on the river and choose your bays wisely.

3. Member
    There's plenty of places to hide from the wind around the islands in Clayton. Since you've never been there, go to the river. It's not as easy as the pros make it look on TV, but you'll figure it out.

I've fished Champlain a bazillion times and I like it, but 1000 Islands is just better IMO.

4. Member
    I was on Champlain last week with nasty winds out of North and South. A protected area for Champlain. Still brutal. Can't imagine St Lawrence being as bad with same wind. North and South winds tend to be the worst. St Lawrence running east and west. Better protected.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdbasser View Post
    I was on Champlain last week with nasty winds out of North and South. A protected area for Champlain. Still brutal. Can't imagine St Lawrence being as bad with same wind. North and South winds tend to be the worst. St Lawrence running east and west. Better protected.
    wind up there is mostly a west/east wind not North/South. North/South winds are not too common on the river.. but This weekend it’s a west/southwest wind, meaning going right down the river with the current.

that said, there’s plenty of islands and bays that you can get away from the wind. And it’s only going to be sustained 12mph winds.

i would stick with the 1000 islands. Plenty of people are reporting good numbers and quality. You could also trailer the boat if needed to get to places. Much cheaper than driving the boat for sure. As already been said though, it’s not nearly as easy as the pros make it seem. This time of year isn’t too tough, later in the summer most recreational/regional anglers struggle to get limits unless they spend a bit of time searching.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. I’m headed to the river, looking forward to it.
    You boys enjoy the 4th

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Della123 View Post
    Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. I’m headed to the river, looking forward to it.
    You boys enjoy the 4th
    let us know how you do

8. Member
    Champlain legit scares me up near Plattsburgh when it gets rough. Ticonderoga is a bit smaller and you can normally find somewhere to tuck in
    Nitro Z18
    175hp ProXS

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzebackpro7 View Post
    Champlain legit scares me up near Plattsburgh when it gets rough. Ticonderoga is a bit smaller and you can normally find somewhere to tuck in
    it tried to eat my ranger last year and came very close.. as I said can be a nasty bitch with not alot of wind

10. Member
    I remember my first time there, crossing over from the Gut to Point Au Roche in a washing machine. Took a few waves over the bow, but made it back safely. It was a good lesson in driving in rough water and more importantly, learning how to read the wind and weather report before venturing out.

11. Member
    Thanks guys for the advice. I did head up to 1000 islands and had a great trip! For those of you that get to fish up there regularly, you guys are spoiled!
    It took a little bit of time to figure things out but managed to catch 30/40 a day, most fish around 3lbs and my biggest went 5lbs. That place is truly one of the nicest places I’ve ever been. Best of luck to you guys up there!