Thread: Which smoker

Which smoker

Which one is the best.
    Masterbuilt 560 gravity series
    Traeger pro 575
    Pit Boss copperhead 3-series wood pellet vertical smoker

Don't forget to look at Kamado Joes, too.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

Bought this 3 months ago. I have owned several. This is by far the best. https://www.bbqguys.com/victory/free...l-black-bbq-pg

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

4. Member
    I'm looking at a Masterbuilt gravity 800. Gonna pull the trigger on it this week.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

5. Moderator
    Generally use a stick burner but keep hearing good things on pellet smokers. May end up buying one in the future.

6. Member
    I use a Rec Tec 590 and really like it.

John

My some has a RecTec Bull. That thing will produce some fine smoked meat, and cooks a decent steak. I love visiting them because I know I’ll be eating some gourmet smoked/grilled meals.
    But, he has told me more than once the same cuts of meat cooked on my Big Green Egg are just plain better. His words, not mine.
    I’m partial. I love cooking on the Egg. Nothing more fun than loading it up with lump and post oak and doing a 22-23 hour cook on a big Angus Prime brisket or some Dino bone beef ribs.
    You get the right damper control like a SMOBOT or the Egg Genius and all you have to do is sit back and let run until done.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Member
    I had a Rec Tec 700 for 4-5 years, and loved it for everything except searing steaks, then they came out with the 1250, that reaches 700+ so I gave my son the 700, and bought the 1250, and must say it is incredible.

9. Member
    I love my Green Mountain. I've had it for 8 years.

10. Member
    I went with the pit boss series 3 vertical. I have smoked a pork but , some ribs and salmon. All have come out great. I didn't need a grill so I went with just the smoker. I had a masterbuilt gas smoker but it went bad.

11. Member
    I don't really see the need to have such a small gravity feed. You can get 12 hours smoke time out of any kettle, and no smoker makes a good grill no matter how hot it gets. If you want to grill food use a grill, if ya want to smoke use a smoker.

I use my pellet smoker 3-4 times a week. If I had to pick just one kind of smoker to get it would be a pellet.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    I don't really see the need to have such a small gravity feed. You can get 12 hours smoke time out of any kettle, and no smoker makes a good grill no matter how hot it gets. If you want to grill food use a grill, if ya want to smoke use a smoker.

I use my pellet smoker 3-4 times a week. If I had to pick just one kind of smoker to get it would be a pellet.
    I have a kettle style smoker, and I have a Char-Griller gravity fed smoker. I will agree the best smoke comes from the kettle style, but I disagree on size, I can get way more food on my gravity fed then I can a kettle. As far as pellet smokers go, I’ve had three of them. To me they are the worst for smoking, but probably the most convenient. Obviously my first choice would not be a pellet grill, since I have five cookers and zero pellet grills. That said, I think they’ve came a long way since I owned and one definitely considering one. If I were to buy one, at this point I think it would be a Rec Tec (sp) no matter what a pellet grill in my opinion is not a real smoker. i’m not a big fan of the pellets, which basically are pressed sawdust and glue.
    Last edited by itsahog; 07-18-2022 at 08:37 PM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterz20 View Post
    I went with the pit boss series 3 vertical. I have smoked a pork but , some ribs and salmon. All have come out great. I didn't need a grill so I went with just the smoker. I had a masterbuilt gas smoker but it went bad.
    I plan on getting that pit boss as well. The vertical stance makes it so I can pipe the smoke up the chimney in my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post

Except ceramic smokers like the BGE or Kamado Joe, or similar. Cook at temps from 150º to 750º+. My Egg will sear a steak perfectly every time. The main reason I bought one. Versatility.
    Last edited by RazorCat; 08-08-2022 at 02:07 PM.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

15. Member
    Iliked my BGE but, got a lot of pleasure in giving it to my son. I got a pellet grill and dont look back !!

16. Member
    Good choice, I have the Pit Boss 820 and really like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I plan on getting that pit boss as well. The vertical stance makes it so I can pipe the smoke up the chimney in my garage.

17. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Except ceramic smokers like the BGE or Kamado Joe, or similar. Cook at temps from 150º to 750º+. My Egg will sear a steak perfectly every time. The main reason I bought one. Versatility.
    Yep and also the reason I have a Joe. I can do everything from baking to searing in it. I have done chocolate chip cookies to 700* pizza cooks. It’s not as easy or forgiving as a pellet grill but very versatile.

I have the Traeger 575 WiFi version. Love it, works great for the wife and I.Only thing is it gets awfully crowded when we get company. So if you prone too have gatherings of family and friends, I’d go at least the next size up. We’ve had ours for a couple years now, and it’s never failed us yet.
    97 TR21 99 225EFI S/N OG885575