2013 60HP cuts out and dies

I have a 2013 60HP s/n 1C220704 Mercury 4 stroke that is having problems. At first it would only idle and if you gave it any gas it would die. Now it will idle and you can run it up to about 3000 rpm's before it bogs down and wants to die. This seems to be a common problem with this motor per my internet searches and the usual fix is to clean the screens in the VST or replace the fuel pump. It will run perfect on the water hose so this is only happening while under a load. Here is what has been done so far to try and repair it plus the annual maintenance.

It is not showing any fault codes
    New fuel pump, old fuel pump had 40 pounds of pressure. New fuel pump has 44 pounds or pressure.
    Cleaned the the fuel injectors
    Cleaned the VST screens
    New fuel filters
    New spark plugs
    Oil change and new filter
    new impeller
    gear lube
    disconnected the fuel line at the motor and hooked up a remote tank with its own fuel line

The shop that it is at is going to run it and record what is going on to send to Mercury for help. I am hoping that someone may have an idea of what to look at next? I did read online that in one instance a starter was causing the issue by not sending enough volts to the fuel pump to operate correctly. Other than that we (the mechanic and I) are out of ideas to get this fixed.

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    has a compression test been done? if so what were the readings? i'm not a mechanic just interested

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scalhoun506 View Post
    has a compression test been done? if so what were the readings? i'm not a mechanic just interested
    No a compression test has not been ran. The motor starts and runs extremely well, perfect on the water hose. It is only while under a load that it is having the problem.

4. Member
    Update: The recording showed a very slight delay with the throttle position sensor. Mercury has recommended replacing it. If this does not correct the problem the Stator would be next followed by the ECM. It is now an expensive guessing game so they are starting with the less expensive parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pole Bender View Post
    I have a 2013 60HP s/n 1C220704 Mercury 4 stroke that is having problems. At first it would only idle and if you gave it any gas it would die. Now it will idle and you can run it up to about 3000 rpm's before it bogs down and wants to die. This seems to be a common problem with this motor per my internet searches and the usual fix is to clean the screens in the VST or replace the fuel pump. It will run perfect on the water hose so this is only happening while under a load. Here is what has been done so far to try and repair it plus the annual maintenance.

It is not showing any fault codes
    New fuel pump, old fuel pump had 40 pounds of pressure. New fuel pump has 44 pounds or pressure.
    Cleaned the the fuel injectors
    Cleaned the VST screens
    New fuel filters
    New spark plugs
    Oil change and new filter
    new impeller
    gear lube
    disconnected the fuel line at the motor and hooked up a remote tank with its own fuel line

The shop that it is at is going to run it and record what is going on to send to Mercury for help. I am hoping that someone may have an idea of what to look at next? I did read online that in one instance a starter was causing the issue by not sending enough volts to the fuel pump to operate correctly. Other than that we (the mechanic and I) are out of ideas to get this fixed.

Any help greatly appreciated!

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Before you "guess" any more items, I'd suggest trying a different Crank Sensor (known good one from another engine).

Had one that sounds eerily similar, spent a ton of time and money only to find the crank sensor was failing and causing the whole list of symptoms. Replaced sensor and it ran flawlessly from then on.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I thought I would come back and let anyone looking in the future know what is was. It ended up being the VST Tank, it has a clog and is causing the fuel pressure the go up and down. My mechanic has tried cleaning it without success so today he ordered a new one. He was able to find it by removing parts from a known good engine and placing them on mine. With the known good one mine runs perfectly. Many parts were tried before this as my boat had been in the shop since May but I am happy that we finally have it diagnosed and it will be repaired once the new part comes in.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor