Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallbladder removal ?

Anyone had theirs removed? Was at the ER the other night and they gave me an ultrasound and said they thought they saw something but they could not diagnose. They set me up with a surgeon which I see on the 29th of July. Not sure why as they dont even know its my gallbladder or that I would even need surgery. Right now im perfectly fine. They gave me some meds which im not even taking the full dosage. My symptoms seem to come in waves maybe every 2-3 months or so. Doesnt make sense to me.

Just curious.

2. Banned
    I’m a firm believer in 2nd opinions..... especially on something like this .... daughter and good friend had theirs taken out and diet had to change dramatically , buddy said he’s glad he did even tho when he eats better have a bathroom close.... daughter says she wishes she wouldn’t have had it taken out also when she eats a bathroom better be close

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil’erRed View Post
    I’m a firm believer in 2nd opinions..... especially on something like this .... daughter and good friend had theirs taken out and diet had to change dramatically , buddy said he’s glad he did even tho when he eats better have a bathroom close.... daughter says she wishes she wouldn’t have had it taken out also when she eats a bathroom better be close
    Thats exactly what I have heard. I personally think its something else. He did say if it was stones it might be possible to somehow push it through or something. Not sure I was so dehydrated I was out of it.

Im going to side with NO and of course would get a second and maybe even a third.

4. Member
    Had mine out in 2018. It's a pretty simple process. I can eat whatever I want and be just fine.

5. Member
    Mine is out and didn’t help a bit. Except now if I eat anything cooked in grease I better be close to a jon! Can I have yours?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    Mine is out and didn’t help a bit. Except now if I eat anything cooked in grease I better be close to a jon! Can I have yours?
    What were your symptoms if you dont mind me asking

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    What were your symptoms if you dont mind me asking
    Im not rboren, but mine was upper right quadrant pain right below my ribs that wrapped around to my back. Pain bad enough it would make my wife take me to the ER. Pain would be after eating fatty good.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece22 View Post
    Im not rboren, but mine was upper right quadrant pain right below my ribs that wrapped around to my back. Pain bad enough it would make my wife take me to the ER. Pain would be after eating fatty good.
    Thats not my symptoms. I was vomiting and passing blood. Ohh well time will tell.

9. Member
    I had mine out, no more pain and eat anything i want.. Boy, mine hurt! Would be in my jaw and tightness and pain in my chest. I thought I was having a heart attack, but wasn't.

10. Member
    The symptoms you all speak of make me think its not a gallbladder but maybe a bleeding ulcer or GERDs. Maybe a bout of gastritius however you spell that.

Thanks for the helps guys.

11. Member
    Had mine taken out and had the need for a close bathroom. Did some research and found out about Colestipol. I take 1gm pill in the morning and have almost no problems. It's a cholestoral medicine that is a bile acid binder. Check it out and get a prescription from your doctor.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grey bear View Post
    Had mine taken out and had the need for a close bathroom. Did some research and found out about Colestipol. I take 1gm pill in the morning and have almost no problems. It's a cholestoral medicine that is a bile acid binder. Check it out and get a prescription from your doctor.
    Well I havent had it out or agreed to have it out. Im hoping to keep all of my parts hahaha

But thats good info if it comes to that.

13. Member
    I had mine removed last of march. I had had about four or five ultra sounds and they all came back negative. Doctor said he wanted to do another one and I agreed to it but insisted they do other test as well. I'm not sure which test showed the stones but mine came out. Surgery was pretty straight forward and I really didn't have much pain.

I've always had stomach problems and a few doctors said they thought I might be better off once my gall bladder was removed. I was having spells with pain and just being sick on my stomach as well as having days with endless trips to the bathroom.

I've had several people tell me they were messed up for around six months to a year after the removal. It has been three months now for me and I'm still having problems but they are getting better. When I first had mine removed I would get through eating and go to the bathroom....every time. Now I'm still going after I eat most of the time but sometimes I can wait a little while and not be on a dead run which gets old fast. I've also had chronic nausea but haven't been to the point of actually throwing up. That seems to be getting better slowly also.

I'm not sure I'll ever be normal and I've been staying pretty close to the house for the last three months or so for the most part. All my friends know what's up as we've been friends a long time. I used to eat out more but now I eat at home. If I pick anything up i get it to go and eat it at home.

I would love to continue to improve and get back to almost "normal" or at least as normal as I can be.

14. Member
    My bad. Tired, and thinking of wrong internal body part. So changed reply.

15. Member
    I had mine out. Easy process. Lighten up a bit on fried food and you’ll be fine. I eat what I want but feel so much better when I eat clean I just changed my habits…Lost 30 lbs in the process and not a single regret. If you’re hooked on greasy/heavy foods it’s more challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Duece22 View Post
    those were my symptoms
    Ohio river gets in the blood!

No but a year and half ago my wife had hers removed and had acute pancreatitis. She went through 3 pretty bad months and a couple to recover.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

18. Member
    Had mine out quite a while back no real issues to speak of.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

19. Member
    Your symptoms are not primary symptoms of a bad gallbladder. Do not do anything without several opinions and lots of imaging. Demand to see GI and avoid general surgery. Cholecystectomies are often portrayed as simple surgeries because you can function without a gallbladder. That said, if it is not bad and doesn't need removal then your body will mightily struggle. I made mistakes by not getting more opinions and trusted a surgeon. It has been more than 4 years since I was told by pathology my gall bladder wasn't bad as reported by radiology. The only way you learn that is by letting light into your abdominal cavity. Making matters worse, I contracted a bacterial infection during my surgery and I have been suffering the effects ever since.

MIL had hers taken out. Surgeon accidentally cut her bile duct and sewed her back up. She was gone in 7 days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast