difference between Active Imaging Transducer - 3-in-1 and TotalScan Skimmer Med/High

What is the difference between these 2 ducers for an elite ti9

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/lowr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/ty...RoCuFYQAvD_BwE

My ti9 came with the skimmer version. Sticking out so far it soon broke off, I'm thinking about getting a replacement. It looks like the active imaging version might be
    more mechanically robust.

2. Member
    AI is the top of the line all in one transducer from Lowrance. To compare the two, the 2D is practically the same between them. The StructureScan of the TS is comparable to an LSS 2. The StructureScan of the AI is comparable to Structure 3D. So, AI is about 10 years newer technology.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    so imaging something is better about AI, right? Since I fish the same lakes I don't find side scan that useful, mainly downscan (narrow 2d, structure scan.} So is AI structure scan tighter? narrower cone? better definition, supports more frequencies? trying to understand why it would perform better.

the all plastic mounting of the AI is a bummer, breaks off very easily. very poor quality design cost reduction.

4. Member
    Your TI came with a Total Scan and that is the only one that works on the TI unless you forgot the 2 on the TI2. THe AI3-1 does not work on TI IT will work on TI2

5. Member
    thanks should have mentioned I have a ti9. The ducer that came with it (that broke off) looked like the all plastic total scan ducer like this
    https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/ty...BoChSMQAvD_BwE

so my queston now would be will the cheaper Lowrance Active Imaging Transducer work with my ti9? It has a metal mounting frame that looks like it would survive abuse better.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/lowr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

6. Member
    AI 3in1 won't work on a Gen 1 Ti unit. Only Ti2, as mentioned above.

NoCAL
    2B112175

7. Member
    when you say 3 in 1 I think that means that 1 transducer device is used for
    1. old school sonar - called 2d these days also called broadband
    2. narrow downscan also called structure scan
    3. side scan
    hence the description 3 in 1.

previous designs required 2 different ducers
    1 for old school sconar broadband 2d
    another separate ducer for the advanced side scan and downscan(structure scan)

is the above correct?

8. Member
    That is basically it. TotalScan is also a 3in1 but the tech is many years behind AI.
    2B112175

9. Member
    OK, I think I got it. They both provide the function but the quality of the images from the Active scan will be better. I'd like to know if they are pin compatible, that is can either one be used on my Ti9 that originally came with an Active Scan ducer. I've seen some pix of the connectors and it appears that the total scan is 9 pin and active scan is 7 pin so that would indicate not pin compatible. The only reason I want the old school total scan ducer is because it has a metal frame that attaches to hull rather than the all plastic Active scan that broke off.

10. Member
    Can any benefits be gained going from totalscan to ai transducer on a gen3 sonar?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightymite47 View Post
    Can any benefits be gained going from totalscan to ai transducer on a gen3 sonar?

Absolutely if it was compatible and it is NOT

12. Member
    Terminology people, lol.
    TotalScan is old tech. Compatible with Gen3 and Elite Ti. It provides 2D, Sidescan, and Downscan. There is no Active Scan.
    Active Imaging is new tech. It provides 2D, and enhanced Side/Downscan. It is compatible with Carbon, Live, Elite Ti2, and Elite FS.

If they are not compatible based on the list above, they will not work regardless of the number of pins in the connector. You might be able to adapt the mounting hardware. But mounted correctly it shouldn’t be exposed to debris in the water. There should only be about a quarter inch below the transom and most boats have a step below that.

NoCAL
    2B112175

13. Member
    I fish around tree stumps etc and they brush against the transom which will break those long ducers off in a heartbeat. If you look at reviews of these ducers on Bass Pro you will see lots of complaints about their fragility So.....since sidescan didn't really help me (or I never learned how to use it well) I'm going to just put an old school 2D skimmer on that ti2-9. For the narrow downscan I've got a humminbird hdi downscan and to be honest it was better than the ti2-9 on downscan/sctructure scan etc. AND its ducer is very small, probably not gonna break off.

The market on these things is just so crazy, so many models, slight variations etc. Lots of money spent on all these SKUs. I'm ready for a simple bright screen android that accesses all these sonar system units via wifi. (it probably already exists)

14. Member
    There you go. Sounds like you have a plan. I could never get along without Sidescan! But I’ve spent years learning how to use it too.
    2B112175