Dreaded 4 beep alarm

2004 Optimax 150hp ser:OT862351

As I understand it this is caused by water in fuel or an oil issue.
    I unplugged the two blue wires on the engine tank which is full, and all looks normal. I do not have continuity when testing those wires. Anyone know Is this switch normally open or normally closed? If the tank is full should i have continuity or not i guess is the better question. Another way for me to test would be to un-plug and go run it .. but do I jump the leads or leave them unplugged? thanks in advance .

2. Member
    There are numerous things that can cause a 4 beep alarm. To test the reserve tank, disconnect wires from tank and short the engine side leads together, alarm stops, replace tank.

Btw, your engine is covered in the 2.5L forum just below this one, a moderator will move it for you.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Thanks Phil. I jumped the wires and no alarm. tested the sensor using a magnet and it works so that leads me to a bad float for sure. this is good and bad .. Good: found the issue. Bad : Replacement tank is pricey. Sorry I thought I was good on this thread ..
    Yes please move it if needed.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be happy if you can GET a replacement tank. Some of them have been on backorder for a LONG time.

Moving your thread to the 2.5L forum.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Be happy if you can GET a replacement tank. Some of them have been on backorder for a LONG time.

Moving your thread to the 2.5L forum.
    I hear ya and no im not sure if can find one. I see some aftermarket ones but I'm leary of them . So far what I did works fine and i am keeping a eye on the reserve tank.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I will admit that (in desperation) I looked into the aftermarket tanks. Seems that many of them don't even fit the application (ie: bolt pattern incorrect).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Banned
    I have been waiting on a tank, under warranty through BPS, since Dec!!! I just run it with the sensor jumped.

Plenty of aftermarket tanks but they just don't look right to my eye. Have seen a few used ones on eBay but I'll bet they're available because the magnet has dropped off the float. Good luck.