Thread: Caymas cx19

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Caymas cx19

Hey guys first post , I’ve got a 22 caymas cx 19 I’ve had for a few months, 225 Pro XS, 23 pitch fury three blade, trying to see if anybody else has the same boat and what their set up is?
    Specifically wanting to know about prop to pad ? I have a 10 inch z lock manual plate. Starts Chine walk pretty good around 63 to 65, I raised the jack 1/4” and that seem to help, I raised it a another 1/2” more and that helped even more but now I think it may be too high because I’m throwing a lot of spray off the back of the boat that I did not have before, just looking for some help. Also I’ve got a little bit of play in my steering 1/4- 3/8” of an inch both ways is that normal or is there a way to adjust it ? I’ve watched a video of someone bleeding the system online it does not look complicated. I’m also going to put a 4 foot level on the deck with just me in it floating still and see if I need to rebalance the weight, overall I love the boat I’m just trying to dial it in a little better any help would be appreciated !

2. Member
    This is first place I would start, make sure this jam nut is tight, if it’s lose tighten it up where there is no play then tighten the Allen head screw.
    Welcome to BBC, hang with us we will get you fixed up. [IMG][/IMG]

3. Member
    Thank you, this is my first boat like this all I’ve had prior have been aluminum boats, I’m still trying to figure out how to drive this thing. Ok so that’s on the starboard side, I saw that yesterday when I was looking at it I could not move it at all, if I loosen the setscrew which way am I turning it?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael33 View Post
    Thank you, this is my first boat like this all I’ve had prior have been aluminum boats, I’m still trying to figure out how to drive this thing. Ok so that’s on the starboard side, I saw that yesterday when I was looking at it I could not move it at all, if I loosen the setscrew which way am I turning it?
    Loosen the screw, then turn it counterclockwise. I like to put a hand on the back of motor foot and try to move it while tightening it. Mine tightened up about a 1/4 turn. Now the wobbling at 64 is gone.

Rick from Caymas told me to raise the motor 2 inches from the bottom. I have hydraulic plate. It worked! I can actually raise it a little more and my water pressure is still good to go. Going off memory here... But i believe that puts my prop to pad around 2 1/2 - 2 3/4.

I have 225 Yamaha sho.

5. Member
    Ok awesome, I’ll be down at the river this weekend for a few days so we’re gonna play around with some of that, I think that little bit of slack in my steering wheel is contributing to my Chine walk and I need to tighten it up. I’m taking a level and a straight edge I’m gonna see what my prop to pad is before we put it in the water!

6. Member
    Ok awesome, I’ll be down at the river this weekend for a few days so we’re gonna play around with some of that, I think that little bit of slack in my steering wheel is contributing to my Chine walk and I need to tighten it up. I’m taking a level and a straight edge I’m gonna see what my prop to pad is before we put it in the water!
    Yes sir, you need to tighten up that jam nut while checking your engine for side-to-side movement, when it adjusted proper you should not have much movement at all in your engine movement from side to side. Generally speaking, on pad to prop about 2 3/4 to 3 inches below the pad is very close. Once you learn to drive, they are a ball to drive for sure, that 19 handles like a race car!!

7. Member
    I will get that adjusted! Yes she wants to go fast, have no doubt it will break 70 easily !

8. Member
    So I was able to get out this afternoon, I ended up raising Jack plate another 3/4 of an inch, so the dealer had it set At 4 1/4 inches, and it is now 3 inches prop to pad. It made a huge improvement Boat is more stable and drives better and the lower unit is not dragging through the water like a sea anchor, the spray behind the boat is much better I’m getting more of a rooster tail about the height of the motor in the center now. Was also able to tighten up my steering and got rid of the majority of the slack. We are slightly out of balance, the port side is lighter than the starboard side with just me in it, My 70 pound son almost even it out but not quite. No Chine walk now until around 66 or 67 With the trim around 3.0. One other question the screw that people are talking about the falls out of the ram for the trim, mine was loose about one turn so I tightened it back up, red loctite ? What’s the fix. I feel like the jack plate could probably come up a little bit more but I’m going to leave it where it’s at right now, currently waiting on a 24 pitch tempest from bb blades, I want to try that over the fury . Also water pressure and temperature we’re good, never got over 142.
    Last edited by Michael33; 06-29-2022 at 09:48 PM.

9. Member
    So I was able to get out this afternoon, I ended up raising Jack plate another 3/4 of an inch, so the dealer had it set At 4 1/4 inches, and it is now 3 inches prop to pad. It made a huge improvement Boat is more stable and drives better and the lower unit is not dragging through the water like a sea anchor, the spray behind the boat is much better I’m getting more of a rooster tail about the height of the motor in the center now. Was also able to tighten up my steering and got rid of the majority of the slack. We are slightly out of balance, the port side is lighter than the starboard side with just me in it, My 70 pound son almost even it out but not quite. No Chine walk now until around 66 or 67 With the trim around 3.0. One other question the screw that people are talking about the falls out of the ram for the trim, mine was loose about one turn so I tightened it back up, red loctite ? What’s the fix. I feel like the jack plate could probably come up a little bit more but I’m going to leave it where it’s at right now, currently waiting on a 24 pitch tempest from bb blades, I want to try that over the fury . Also water pressure and temperature we’re good, never got over 142.
    Not real sure on which Loctite, you might go over to the Mercury page and look that up, it's been talked about a lot.

10. Member
    Ok will do !

11. Member
    Bump that plate up 1/4 inch at a time from where it is. I think 1/4 will be all you need. On the digital gauge, trim at 70% is probably as high as I'll go. That's level on mine. It really likes it about 63%. Above 70% and it's too high for mine... It'll walk pretty good.

12. Member
    so would the pad be consider the furtherest back lowest section of the hull?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiakwood View Post
    so would the pad be consider the furtherest back lowest section of the hull?
    The pad runs right down the center of you boat very bottom and is 17 inches wide

14. Member
    Thanks for the info, measured the pad to prop today, 3", but we only have the basic 6" jack plate. Adjustment could be a bear.

15. Member
    Also, while you're checking the steering nut, double check that the hydraulic steering fluid is full. Mine (CX20 Pro) took about 8 oz from the factory to fill.

16. Member
    Sorry been busy with work but the dealer is going to take care of the nut issue because it’s going in to swap manual for a 10” hydraulic JP, after I saw the performance difference I think I’ll be much happier with that long term. Will be nice to let it up and down on the fly.

17. Member
    Ok ! My trim is in increments from 0-9, I typically run on pad between 3-4

18. Member
    Ok ! My trim is in increments from 0-9, I typically run on pad between 3-4
    What hole is your engine in on the jack plate, there is one inch difference between holes? Its best to set your plate from bottom of hull to center of prop shaft. With that said i run mine at about 7 best i remember, don't look every time because i feel it more than i look if you know what i mean.

19. Member
    Not sure about what hole but anything over aroujd 6 or so and it goes into tilt mode, no way I could run that high. I can run as high as 5 but it becomes unstable over 60 and handles a lot better between 3-4

20. Member
    I run mine at 60% tilt and jack plate as high as 3 inches from the bottom. Too much tilt and the boat gets too high and you can't control it... The hull has so much lift that it doesn't need as much tilt as others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast