Super tuned reels

I’ve seen super tuned reels and spools. What exactly is a super tuned reel? What all does it entail? Is it worth it? What are the benefits? How much does it cost to have one super tuned and who do you recommend to super tune a reel? I’m in southwest Louisiana. I know it’s a lot of questions but I figured I’d ask them all at one time.

2. Member
    Some of the internals are polished to a mirror finish, upgrade bearings, upgrade drag washers to carbon. Worth it? Up to the individual really. My opinion it is worth it but the improvement is not substantial. Benefits are improved drag. Improved casting distance with less effort. Cost is around $50 -$70 when I did mine a few years ago. Ian Shields did mine. He is highly recommended.

3. Member
    I have had one reel super tuned by The Tackle Trap. Here is a description from their website on what they do when they super tune a reel: 1: Casting - a thorough flush of the spool bearings and proper lubrication with only the highest grade bearing oils, along with a mirror polish of the spool tips and brake ring where applicable, will aid in smooth and efficient casting with exceptional control. 2: Drag - a thorough flush of the drag washers removes any unwanted contaminants. Once clean, the drag stack is reassembled and "run in" to ensure smooth operation, and efficient stopping power. 3: Clutch/Retrieve - a reel that is rough, vibrates, or catches on the retrieve doesn’t enhance any fishing experience. A polish of the clutch mechanism, proper cleaning of support bearings, and replacing bushings with bearings where applicable are critical components to make the reel as smooth as possible. We all like our reels smooth and a super tune will make it happen! I sent a few reels to them to be cleaned and lubed and decided to try super tuning one reel. It was an extra $20 to do it. Was it worth it...personally I don't think so. I didn't notice any difference in performance. But that was me and I may not be as sensitive to minor changes as others are. A well cleaned and lubed reel feels the same to me as one that has had the upgraded super tuning. Just my 2 cents.

4. Member
    I think it has a lot to do with the reel before getting super tuned. Some reels (newer model and high end models) are already close enough to tuned to not see a major performance increase while others typically older reels will see some improvements.