First time out with new Ultrex MDI ( electrolysis )

Just purchased a new Ultrex MDI and first trip out to the lake I started seeing electrolysis on the bottom of the motor. Previously I had a Fortrex. After installing the Fortrex in 2018, it started having electrolysis also. Was able to remove fuse in the Fortrex head that went to the light and that corrected my problem. My question is there a fuse in the head of my Ultrex that I can remove and try to correct problem?? Not sure that will help, just a little frustrated that I am having the same problems with a new trolling motor...

Yes there is a fuse in the head of the Ultrex but without it you will have a lot of interference on your graphs and I'm assuming it will void your warranty

Not to mention this would not fix your real problem just a symptom

You have current flowing through the water from somewhere to the trolling motor
    The majority of the time this is due to an improperly installed jump switch or a faulty ground in the main power system of the boat

If you have a volt meter get a very long wire and connect it to the trolling motor where you see the electrolysis and the other end to the ground lead on the meter
    Now turn everything on in the boat and with the positive lead of the meter touch a bare spot on the motor or jack plate and I bet you see some voltage at least close to 12 volts again pointing to the jump switch or a faulty ground
    Last edited by MichAngler; 06-27-2022 at 07:18 PM.
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Your batteries are either hooked up wrong or you have a jump starter that is hooked up wrong.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    I don't know a lot about electrolysis, but does your boat spend time at a dock?

I got electrolysis this spring. We were in TX and stayed on the water for a week. I was worried I screwed something up with all the wiring I did over the winter.

I haven't had electrolysis since I left Texas. It must have been the dock, the boat on the dock, or a neighbors dock.

5. Member
    Tested per MichAngler with voltmeter between trolling motor skag and jackplate. i am showing a full 36 volts!! Disconnected my starting battery completely, turned off trolling motor completely. Still have 36 volts?? Now I am really confused. Not sure where to start next??? So basically, I plug my trolling motor plug in and I get 36 volts direct between my TM and outboard. Any help would be appreciated...

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 929bassmaster View Post
    Tested per MichAngler with voltmeter between trolling motor skag and jackplate. i am showing a full 36 volts!! Disconnected my starting battery completely, turned off trolling motor completely. Still have 36 volts?? Now I am really confused. Not sure where to start next??? So basically, I plug my trolling motor plug in and I get 36 volts direct between my TM and outboard. Any help would be appreciated...
    Which one is the higher voltage? If the jackplate, it sounds like there is a connection between TM positive and engine ground.
    nothing else matters.​

Catfan is correct

somehow your trolling motor batteries positive terminal or lead wire to the trolling motor is touching or connected to the motor/boats ground

Do you have a jump switch?
    "The handicapped angler"

8. Member
    No jump switch. I had a 12/24 system and changed it over to 36 system, years ago. The wiring for TM went thru a buss bar system. Not sure the 12v batteries are in the right order, I had to run everthing thru the buss bar system. I might have a starting battery terminal on the wrong lug. but the Fortrex TM I just removed didn't have electrolysis. My batteries are all over the boat, two batteries in each acompartment behind seats and one in back. Very confusing the way it is set up.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    No jump switch. I had a 12/24 system and changed it over to 36 system, years ago. The wiring for TM went thru a buss bar system. Not sure the 12v batteries are in the right order, I had to run everthing thru the buss bar system. I might have a starting battery terminal on the wrong lug. but the Fortrex TM I just removed didn't have electrolysis. My batteries are all over the boat, two batteries in each acompartment behind seats and one in back. Very confusing the way it is set up.
    You said in the first post the Fortrex had electrolysis until you removed the noise reduction fuse.

Somewhere you have a connection between the TM batteries and the outboard wiring. Eliminate it and you will eliminate the electrolysis. The two systems should have no connections between them.
    nothing else matters.​

It always amazes me how people omit vital information until you dig it out of them

Clearly you need to isolate the two systems and eliminate the bus bar from the trolling motor system
    "The handicapped angler"

11. Member
    i'll give it shot, thanks for all the helpful info!