Thread: Kentucky Lake

Kentucky Lake

Fished a tournament on Saturday out of Jville. Winner had 25 pounds (doubt it was south). Haven't seen that type of bag in a long time during the summer (or at all for that matter. Saw a 25 pound bag I believe last winter or the winter before). Second place was 15 pounds haha.

2. Member
    That's a big bag there.. North end has been a lot better according to reports? I haven't been there in a bit, but starting to sound like she's getting back in a bit better shape. I'm not seeing it much south of Paris.. But all reports from Ky. waters seem to be more positive.

3. Member
    Lake is loaded with 15" to 16" fish. Look at tourney results. The majority weigh in 5 for 11 to 13 lbs. Jeff Defew had 5 for about 22 lbs. in last BFL.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcreek View Post
    Lake is loaded with 15" to 16" fish. Look at tourney results. The majority weigh in 5 for 11 to 13 lbs. Jeff Defew had 5 for about 22 lbs. in last BFL.
    If by majority you mean less than 20% of the field was able to catch a limit, than sure, it is loaded. That 11-13lb majority was 7 bags out of 125 boats at the BFL. Less than 6%.

5. Member
    The majority that actually know how to catch one.

6. Member
    Fished a club tourney this past weekend and won with 11.94 on 3 fish limit. Caught 4 keepers all day though. Missed a 5th one that would have put us around 17-18 pounds best 5. Junk fishing mainly. Caught a couple shallow and a couple offshore. This was Paris and south. There are still good days to be had out there but man its mainly frustrating when fun fishing. Not mainly 10-15 fish days on the South end.

7. Member
    Fished small tourney(14 boats) on Sunday out of KenLake with my 13 yr old grandson.Cloudy rainy, cooler conditions helped the bite. Caught 20 by 11:00 weigh in with 3 small keepers. Water temp was 87. Fished fairly deep current brakes on main lake with 5XD and shaky head. Prefished Barkley on Saturday, only caught 6 with 1 keeper. Ky lake continues to be tough, but maybe a small improvement. Seeing fewer carp this year so far. We need the grass back!,

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    If by majority you mean less than 20% of the field was able to catch a limit, than sure, it is loaded. That 11-13lb majority was 7 bags out of 125 boats at the BFL. Less than 6%.
    The April BFL had 135 boats, 38 limits total (28% of the field) 24 limits between 11 and 14lbs with a few more 3 and 4 fish bags in that ranged. Even in the heyday of KY there were tons of local events and BFL’s where only a quarter of the field would have a limit. Especially in the spring and fall. Go back and look at all the BFL results in the 2010’s and you won’t find a whole lot tournaments on KY/Barkley with a better percentage of limits than that.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StretcherJockey View Post
    The April BFL had 135 boats, 38 limits total (28% of the field) 24 limits between 11 and 14lbs with a few more 3 and 4 fish bags in that ranged. Even in the heyday of KY there were tons of local events and BFL’s where only a quarter of the field would have a limit. Especially in the spring and fall. Go back and look at all the BFL results in the 2010’s and you won’t find a whole lot tournaments on KY/Barkley with a better percentage of limits than that.
    It is back then! I do hope it gets back. The lake was awesome for awhile. Limits used to go back to the places 60-100 in the hey day. Not enough stars could align to make that happen currently again.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    It is back then! I do hope it gets back. The lake was awesome for awhile. Limits used to go back to the places 60-100 in the hey day. Not enough stars could align to make that happen currently again.
    The very best thing i have seen telling me it's on the way back is bait fish, lots of those gizzard shad in big balls the way we use to see them, think enough to black out your screens. I have gone for years now without seeing any at all especially out in the middle. To ever get it back to the good old days we will need a lot of grass in my opinion and that may not ever happen again, time will tell RIGHT??

11. Member
    Won't happen until the C.O.E. decides to quit killing the grass !

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wwc3 View Post
    Won't happen until the C.O.E. decides to quit killing the grass !
    I used to think there was not enough money in the Federal budget to perpetuate that myth...but am beginning to wonder.