Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who here has had a grease fire in the kitchen?

I am humbled to admit this; however, until Saturday afternoon I was a proud member of the, "Who would be dumb enough to have a pan of grease catch on fire" camp.

I can now safely say my assumption(s) as to the mental makeup of those in the other camp was wrong (for the most part). It happened FAST, and was a direct result of too many things going on at the same time (namely the CWS game on the back porch). I'm amazed at how quickly it all happened, and that I was able to keep my composure and extinguish the flame before it got out of control.

The boys wanted bacon on their burgers. Gas stove with unattended bacon grease...you get the drift.

The funny thing is (in hindsight, of course), I was the only one who even knew there was a soon-to-be raging fire in the kitchen.

Story time...

-b-

Ask anyone that managed base housing......... common......

Very common.
    Even happens to FF's

Yep! Tossed a bunch of wings into the grease in a dutch oven. They boiled over onto the stove. Flames happened. Fire extinguisher got used. Pizza was ordered. I won’t be without a F/E in the kitchen or near the grill.

5. Member
    I've never had it happen, but I rarely cook things that could catch fire like that. Depending on the size of the flames, sometimes the best bet is to just turn off the heat and cover it up. A fire extinguisher will certainly solve the problem, but they are a huge mess.

The extinguisher does make a mess, but in the heat of the moment it knocks the flames down in an instant. Seeing your stove top blazing away is not a fun thing.

7. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    As an insurance agent, you would be shocked as to how often it happens but thankfully you caught it before it became catastrophic. I have never had a grease fire but had four bombs explode in my kitchen. I felt like having hard boiled eggs for lunch so the night before mu wife put 4 eggs in boiling water and we went downstairs to watch the Patriots game....completely forhgot about the eggs. That is right up until we heard an explosion....LOL. We run upstairs and there's egg EVERYWHERE. Just as i was going to grab the pot, the fourth egg exploded like a Claymore. LOL...luckily i wasn't close enough to get burned but its amazing how fast stuff can go wrong.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

Wife did it about 20 yrs ago frying fish in a cast iron skillet. I opened the kitchen window about 3 feet away grabbed the skillet by the handle and threw it outside.Still got a scar on the palm of my hand from it.

9. Banned
    It gets very serious very quickly if not dealt with properly..... very scary a large range of senses peak at the same time... glad you’re ok

10. Member
    Had one on the back porch. Electric fryer, preheating for some fresh cut fries. At the time I was doing them by hand, which took a minute. No problem as the fryer would maintain temp. Well, it was supposed to. Took the lid off and the flames lit up. Thermostat was apparently stuck and no telling how hot that grease was. Put the lid back on real quick! Unplugged it, when it cooled off, trashed it.

11. Member
    Yorkshire puddings, accidentally filled muffin tin with too much liquid beef fat and a 450 degree oven, poof!!!

12. Member
    Done it. Ended up pouring a bunch of salt over it to put it out. Doubt ill be getting that clump out but the stove needs to be replaced anyways.

13. Member
    It happened to me when I first moved out of my parents house and into an apartment. I grabbed the skillet handle and put it into the oven without even thinking about it. Fire alarm went off and I burnt my hand pretty good but not enough for a hospital visit and no fire department needed. The ceiling area was full of dark smoke for a short while until it all went out the windows and vents.

14. Member
    This is exactly why I now stick to my grill and smoker. Many years ago I decided to cook up some french fries. Tossed a hand full of raw fries into the hot grease and it resulted in a pretty good grease fire. It took out my range fan and the cupboards above it and the controls on my oven before I could get to a fire extinguisher. The fire dept. was called to make sure everything was out and used one of their big exhaust fans to clear the smoke out of the house which smelled like grease and smoke for months. All in all it was quite a mess but insurance fixed everything minus my deductible.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

15. Member
    I have 2 brothers that are retired fire chiefs. They called it "Cooking from the couch."

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bzbrent View Post
    "Who would be dumb enough to have a pan of grease catch on fire" camp.
    This is where I'm at reading this. Has never happened to me or anyone I know, unless they were too embarrassed to mention it.

17. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Not in the kitchen but my pellet smoker has been on fire a few times

18. Member
    Put baking soda on it.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayfaro View Post
    As an insurance agent, you would be shocked as to how often it happens but thankfully you caught it before it became catastrophic. I have never had a grease fire but had four bombs explode in my kitchen. I felt like having hard boiled eggs for lunch so the night before mu wife put 4 eggs in boiling water and we went downstairs to watch the Patriots game....completely forhgot about the eggs. That is right up until we heard an explosion....LOL. We run upstairs and there's egg EVERYWHERE. Just as i was going to grab the pot, the fourth egg exploded like a Claymore. LOL...luckily i wasn't close enough to get burned but its amazing how fast stuff can go wrong.
    My wife did that right after we got married almost 20 years ago. The eggs exploded and hit the ceiling fan, what a mess!

Started one when I was 3 or 4 years old. Wanted a chicken pot pie and my sister would not cook it for me. Decided I would just do it myself. Put it in the oven and turned what I thought was the oven knob on but was one of the burners that had a pan of grease on it. When the smoke started to roll my sister called our great grandmother asking her what to do. She told her to throw flour on the pan and my sister proceeded to throw three bags of flour all over the kitchen. This was 50 years ago now and she still has not lived it down for letting me try and cook my own chicken pot pie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast