SmartCraft Setup

Greetings,

I just got a new to me 2007 TR 21 X HP Triton. It came with some wiring harnesses, smartcraft gauge, junction box, etc. that were new in the bags and never hooked. I've tried looking for a quick guide to getting this gauge hooked up directly to the motor since I don't really have any intentions at this time to hook up any NMEA devices/to my humminbird. I am trying to understand if it is all compatible/what I actually need to connect in these wiring harnesses for my motor.

Motor S# is 1B445539

Items that came with:
    - SmartCraft Gauge: Mercury No: 8M0043420, VDO No: A2C53388608
    - Harness ASSY (blue cable): P# 84-879982T20 (appears to have termination resistors on both ends)
    - Junction Box: P# 878492K14
    - Harness MNT PWR ADPTR: P#84 879346T56 (is this power for NMEA network so I could hook up to a NMEA compatible H-Bird if I wanted?)

The thing that seems odd to me is that the SmartCraft takes a 14 pin connector, but the rest of the mercury connections take 10 pin connectors (motor, j-box, etc.)

It also appears that the blue cable has termination resistors on each end. Do I need the cable with only the termination resistor on one end (motor side) in order to use this setup with the junction box? And, additionally, would I just need the male-male adapter in order to use the existing blue cable direct to the gauge?

Thanks in advance

Chris
    Last edited by got_musky; 06-27-2022 at 11:35 AM.
    A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line
    ~~~~ waiting for a jerk on the other ~~~~

2007 Triton TR21XHP
    2006 Mercury 250 Optimax Pro XS

SMARTCRAFT Options (bbcboards.net)

Lot of info right at the top of the page on the Mercury forum.

3. Member
    Thank you

I read through that thread a few times actually before posting. I am pretty good with electrical wiring and such but what is difficult for me right now is that I have a box full of parts which came with the boat and I feel like I am missing something. What I cannot find/am trying to confirm is that if I have ab and c, I really need d, and not c. Or since I have ab and c, I could get e to replace a and use bc and e.

That said, I feel like I can get the male - male adapter (P# 892452T01) to make it work: blue cable (terminating resistor on each end > male to male adapter > harness to mercmonitor)

Just looking for confirmation before running off and throwing money at different cables/parts to try and make it work.

2007 Triton TR21XHP

4. Member
    UPDATE:

I got the male/male connector. No change. With the blue cable (motor end) hooked up to the motor, other end to the m-m adapter, and then from m-m adapter to the harness for the mercmonitor, I turn the key to on (not starting the motor) the gauge does not turn on.

I'm sure the answer is staring me right in the face.....what am I missing?

2007 Triton TR21XHP

Some pictures of the gauge and where you have it connected at the motor would help.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Here we are

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jN?usp=sharing

The last picture shows it all hooked up. Brought it out just like that, hooked it up to the motor (after removing the yellow termination cap from the motor connection) and then turned key in ignition to on (but didnt start motor).
    Last edited by got_musky; 06-29-2022 at 02:45 PM.

2007 Triton TR21XHP

7. Member
    Nevermind - I figured it out. Minor detail: need to connect the vessel ground

2007 Triton TR21XHP

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, you do!

BTW... the number you provided for the instrument isn't a valid part number. Likely something from the gauge itself... which we've still not identified (your google drive link requires login to see it).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Yes, you do!

BTW... the number you provided for the instrument isn't a valid part number. Likely something from the gauge itself... which we've still not identified (your google drive link requires login to see it).

Thanks Don, hope everyone had a safe 4th of July! I put it back to private since I had figured it out. I believe the gauge reads V5.0 when it starts up.

I took the boat out for the first time last Thursday, so far had an issue with the starting battery not holding charge and throwing wild alarms I think due to low voltage (I've replaced that now and no more alarms) and now what appears to be a leaking tilt seal around the rod. Will start a new thread for that

2007 Triton TR21XHP

10. Member
    For what its worth, here's a pic of the back of the gauge.

IMG-5124.jpg

2007 Triton TR21XHP

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Version 5.0 MercMonitor, meaning it's a Level 1, 2 or 3 (with NMEA-2K Gateway). Roughly mid-2010 production.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor